Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, yesterday I finished installing my new outdoor frost-free spigot! Boy, am I sore.

Had to dig the 5-ft deep trench by hand. Only about 3-4 ft long, but felt like ten. Dig a shovelfull, step up to the 3-foot level, toss onto pile, step down. Repeat for 1-1/2 hours. Step classes got nothing on me! It is cruel that, the more tired you get, the higher the pile is to toss onto!

Lesson learned: When digging a trench, make the trench width at least as wide as your butt. Otherwise, every time you bump the wall, dirt falls directly down your boots.

Then I wheelbarrowed in the gravel. Hubby put the plumbing parts together when he got home, and we both shovelled gravel and dirt back into the hole and tamped it down. Now I've got to clean up the dirt remaining in the grass and see if it (grass) survived. And go scour the farm field for some nice flat stones. Maybe find some plants that will grow among flag stones and take the conditions.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Hobie, did you pile rocks or tape a plastic cup in front of the drain back hole at the bottom of the spigot pipe so the dirt won't plug it up. The first one i put in i didn't and had to dig the hole again :eek: . Hope you were smarter than i was. Jack

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, I filled the hole with stones to a few inches above the drain hole. I was going to put down a layer of plastic on top of that to keep the dirt from settling in as fast, but my overzealous helper (husband) started shovelling dirt in before I could stop him. So I have stone, but no real dirt barrier. I sure hope it works! I've had enough of shovelling for a while.

(And no comments about imminent snow shovelling! :D )

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
OK, I won't use the "S" word. But, please let us know the first time pleasure you get from not dragging out 100+ feet of hose to wash the car or water the garden. :thumbsup:

Walt

·
Registered
2 Posts
You better dig that pipe line in order for you to see the material they used. Cut it and replace with new. You should not do some clumsy plumbing style like rerouting the line into some laps. This would make the water temperature lower.

My TV shows

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Pardon my ignorance, but I do not know what "laps" are, so I hope I didn't route into any.

I had to dig up the line to access the leak. 1" black plastic, split at the end plug. Cut it off back to good (I hope) pipe, inserted fitting (double clamped) and attached to new 1" plastic to hydrant. Blocked elbows with concrete blocks to undisturbed earth as best I could.

Sadly, the location is no closer to the garden, due to the barn being in between the two, but it does help for washing the cars!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts