Water supply for bees

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by stugger57, Jan 18, 2014.

1. stugger57

stugger57 New Member

Hello everyone, my bees and a ferel hive from a stack of tires next door have discovered my neighbors spa as a delicious watering hole. This is a problem. There is a water supply near by but they seem to prefer the spa. I wish to place a water barrel with water hyacinth between the hive and the spa with hopes of distracting them away. I also read that spraying the bees with a soap solution will kill the bees at the spa so that they don't return to the hive or tires with the water message. I don't like the idea of killing them so maybe you all have a different idea. Thanks

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Besides the water the bees will be getting 2 things. The first will be WARM water and the second will be minerals from the spa. Bees seem to prefer dirty water especially if they are raising brood. I have seen bees drinking horse urine.

You can attract the bees to a water source in your garden. Bees seem to avoid a water source next to the hive. If the bees are at the bottom of your garden then put your water yards away at the top of your garden. A good water trough should be shallow and black. Black plastic will absorb the heat of the sun and warm up the water nicely. Make a shallow beach with small pebbles for the bees to drink at. You want the bees to drink, return to the hive and tell their mates. You don't want the bees to fall in the water and drown ---- so make some floats. Old hessian draped over a block of wood works. You might have to experiment as to what to add to the water to give the bees the minerals they crave.

" The bees in your spa must be from the wild hive in the stack of tires. The bees from my hive use the water trough in my garden " :grin:

Edit .... If feasible your neighbour could cover the spa when not in use. This would make the bees look for an alternative water source.

3. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Fischer's Bee Quick...
    Is what I use on Fume Board during extracting.
    You can find this at most bee keeping supply stores.
    I small squirt in the spa will keep them away. Works great for swimming pools also. Very small amount works.