Water,water, water

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Murrell, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I've noticed not much is said about watering the bees in this hot weather!

How much water do bees require in this weather ?

I started keeping track,
    First off we had 10 days in a row of over 100 degrees then 5 days in the high nineties then 6 more days over 100.
    All our tanks and small creeks are dried up.

I have 2waterers one about 15 ft in front of and one about 100 ft. In back of the hives.

I have 8 hives, and they are using a little over 2 1/2 gallons of water per day, hundreds of bees drinking and flying around them from morning till night.

The book, The Hive and The Honeybee says a hive will use about 44 lbs of water per year excludeing nector, water is used not only to cool the hive but to also provide humidity, for nurse bees to provide food for larva, and also a drop is placed in the larva cell to prevent it from drying out.

That's my scientific research for this hot weather, now
    Beer Time !

Murrrell

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That sounds about right. My four hives are pretty strong and are slurping up nearly 1 gallon per day...

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Since one gallon weighs 7.5 lbs, I think the Hive and the Honeybee wasn't written in Texas, or anywhere in the American southwest, where we get higher temps and drier air. And that now applies to the mid-section of the country. I can't tell how much my bees are taking, they have 3 ponds and numerous soaker hoses to visit.

4. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I believe a gallon of water weighes 8.34 lbs !

Murrell

5. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

I use a two gallon chick waterer and only have to fill it about every 3d or 4th day. I have one fairly strong and one weak colony.

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I'm glad I live next to the Tennessee River! :cool:

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I couldn't help myself...the discrepancy of the gallon is starting to remind me of a scene from one of my favorite flicks...Monty Python and the Holy Grail (you have to be slightly eccentric to like this movie...ha!) Here is the script:[/FONT]

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]: Who goes there? [/FONT]
    King Arthur: It is I, Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon, from the castle of Camelot. King of the Britons, defeater of the Saxons, Sovereign of all England!
    1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Pull the other one!
    King Arthur: I am, and this is my trusty servant Patsy. We have ridden the length and breadth of the land in search of knights who will join me in my court at Camelot. I must speak with your lord and master.
    1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: What? Ridden on a horse?
    King Arthur: Yes!
    1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: You're using coconuts!
    King Arthur: What?
    1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: You've got two empty halves of coconut and you're bangin' 'em together.
    King Arthur: So? We have ridden since the snows of winter covered this land, through the kingdom of Mercia, through...
    1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Where'd you get the coconuts?
    King Arthur: We found them.
    1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Found them? In Mercia? The coconut's tropical!
    King Arthur: What do you mean?
    1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Well, this is a temperate zone
    King Arthur: The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?
    1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
    King Arthur: Not at all. They could be carried.
    1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
    [URL="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001037/"]King Arthur[/URL]: It could grip it by the husk!
    [B][URL="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001589/"]1st soldier with a keen interest in birds[/URL]: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
    [B][URL="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001037/"]King Arthur[/URL]: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here?
    [B][URL="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001589/"]1st soldier with a keen interest in birds[/URL]: Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?
    [B][URL="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001037/"]King Arthur[/URL]: Please!
    [B][URL="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001589/"]1st soldier with a keen interest in birds[/URL]: Am I right? [/B][/B][/B][/B][/B]

8. Gypsi

Well one cubic foot of water equals 7.5 gallons, I know where I got that number from, and it doesn't apply to the discussion. My apologies..

I have no earthly idea what it weighs, but my hives are right next to a 1000 gallon pond, across a fence from a bi-level 650 gal (approximately), and across a different fence from a 600 gallon pond, so they never run out of relatively clean filtered water. I still think a hive drinks more than 44 lbs per year, which was my point. At 8.3 lbs per gallon it takes even fewer gallons to get to 44. I can't see less than 6 gallons a year keeping bees alive in Texas.

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

'Tis but a scratch! :thumbsup:

10. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Is that an African swallow, or a European swallow?

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

It's amazing how much those little bees can use isn't it Gypsi?

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It's a water-swallow(ing) bee. :rotfl:

13. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

We have an irrigation ditch and river right across the road.I also put out a shallow pie pan with some gravel(so they won't drown) and fill it with water, also a bird bath. We are constantly watering our garden...have seen our ladies sitting on the lettuce or wherever the water accumulates lapping it up.

14. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I also have an irrigation ditch located about 10 to 15 feet behind my hives. The ditch flows all summer and is fed by clear mountain streams. A fresh supply of very clean water flows by my hives every day.

15. Gypsi

They do indeed drink a lot. And water truce seems to hold pretty well at the ponds. Yellow jackets and hornets and honey bees and birds all drinking together. They let me unblock pumps and outlets and clean a filter this morning without a suit, or a sting.
    The little snake is even happy (if I can catch him live I know where there is a drainage ditch a couple of miles away - Lakes don't want him - he eats fish.)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012