WATERING BEES

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by jimenz, Jul 12, 2011.

1. jimenz

jimenz New Member

It is very hot here in Kansas. The creek nearby my hives is slowly drying up.What is the best and easiest way to watering bees? I'm thinking of using my entrance feeder.

JIm

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With one hive, that's fine. With many, a trickle from an outside tap into a tub or similar works well.

3. milapostol

milapostol New Member

I put a bucket out with a big rock that the bees can land on or a towel that hangs over the side. I just try to make sure the girls can climb onto something if they need to. It's too easy for them to drown.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

once it turns hot they can use a lot of water. <although often over looked as a resource when I do go looking for sites to set bees down on this is priority number one... ie a good constant source of water.

the ac drip here is a good source of water.

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Just in case it's needed, I have a chicken waterer I keep filled. Thanks to the city, I have two very reliable water sources next door. The dog seems to think it's for her enjoyment and I'll let her think that. Some pebbles or a sponge to keep them from drowning and you have a bee watering device. You can buy these at any farm and home store and their inexpensive.

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I've never felt that I had to water my bees. I wonder what thirsty bees look like? How not having enuf water effects a colony of bees.

From what I understand, bees don't drink water like you and I do. They don't need it to stay alive. Tho I could be wrong about that. Mostly, from what I understand, water is used to cool a hive when temps are really high.

Bees fly to forage and will find what they need in the environment. But, I can see having a Bird Bath set up in ones yard. I have seen bees at the edges of my Fathers' concrete bird bath. I have alson seen bees at the edges of rain barrels.

I guess my message is, do what makes you feel good, it won't do any harm. I imagine. But the bees will do alright regardless.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

All living organismss need water to stay alive. Bees included. Butt in addition to using the water in their bodies, they need it to regulate the temp in the hive.
    When they are collecting nectar, they get their water from that source. When the flowers stop producing, in addition to needing water for controlling the hive temp, they need it for themselves.
    But the major amount is for cooling.
    As an aside-em, if bees are fed thin syrup when it's cold, they can have problems with the hive getting chilled because of the cooling effect of evaporation.

8. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

I live in Washington State, Our bees are happy if they don't have to swim to their nectar source. :rolling:

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Here in my area of Israel, our last rain (2.2 mm) came on May 14th (two months ago). If our next rain comes before the end of September, we'll be in luck. :beg:

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I set out a dog or cat waterer that has a small bottle on it, filled the dish with a handful of gravels for them to stand on.

11. milapostol

milapostol New Member

12. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

"Water is collected (in the same way as is nectar) for use in diluting stored honey when feeding it to larvae. It is also used in hot weather for evaporating inside the hive to reduce the hive temperature." Bees and Beekeeping A.V. Pavord, Cassel & Co. Ltd. 1975.

Just received this nice little book someone had recommended in another post. It was only $3 on Amazon. It's a very nice book for beginners. I have learned several things just in the first few pages.

13. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

i have a nice big pond about 500ft long....but they pick the closest easiest purest water source....they used to go to my sawdust pile but i put the nix on that...thats what leaky hose spigots are for...lol.

14. jb63

jb63 New Member

Bird bath the sprinkler hits it twice a day. [​IMG]

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

:coolphotos: JB

16. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I use 2 five gallon buckets with a big handfull of 1X1 in, wood blocks (That I cut from scrap) floating in them. I drive truck all week and am home weekends, so I can't check the water level every day. Works for me.

17. Murrell

Murrell New Member

If you use a glass jar entrance feeder, be sure it is in the shade.

I don't believe a glass jar of water in the sun will have much of a cooling effect !

Murrell

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Even hot water, when evaporating carries away heat. It will eliminate more heat than it would bring in, Those are the laws of physics. BUT the glass jar in the sun will heat up and the bees will not want to take the water. so it won't get into the hive to evaporate.

19. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

ewwww....boiled bee tounges....best keep the glass in da shade :/

20. melrose

melrose New Member

What do thirsty bees look like?
    A dark blanket on the neighbor's pool. ;)