watering my new hives...

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ktbearpaws, Jun 7, 2010.

1. ktbearpaws

ktbearpaws New Member

I just installed 2 new hives.... What is the best way to provide fresh water and make it easy for my bees to access???

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Bird bath or similar, 50 feet from the hives.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

after going to some effort to provide fresh water, don't be surprised if the girls prefer the stuff in the ditch.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

or the lagoon, neighbors swimming pool your dogs dish or in my case a neighbor down the streets fish pond waterfall

5. rgy

rgy New Member

i use a chicken waterer with some rocks in it for the girls to stand on. mine is only about 15-20 feet away though, too close?

6. Omie

Omie New Member

I have a shallow bird bath near the garden, with some rocks and sticks in it to keep bees from drowning.
    I just bought a pound of sea salt with minerals (for human seasoning use) and am adding a tablespoon to the bee bath water to see if this attracts them. I know butterflies are attracted to mud and cow poop etc...for the minerals and trace elements they are seeking. I've heard bees appreciate a little bit of salt, so we'll see.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have heard the same thing. There is a trend of people who are switching to salt water swimming pools so they dont have to use chemicals. From what i have read the salt water attracts bees to the pools and bees became a problem they didnt havve when using clorine or bromine.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

rgy, some beeks use boardman feeders with pure water on the front of the hive, so I don't think yours are too close. I just like to keep foragers a decent distance away from my other hives, especially during a dearth.