Wax after de capping- Bees robbing and killing each other!!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Aug 23, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

After decapping my wax I placed it in front of the house. In 2 days not one bee. Today I placed it in the garden closer to the 2 hives and there are a lot of bees and there is robbing going on. Bees dead and bees fighting. What should I do!

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Try to throw a large tarpaulin over it. More bees will leave than return. At night after things have calmed down. place the container with the cappings inside of a frameless super above the inside cover and cover it with another inside cover and then the roof. The bees in the hive will take the honey, the robbers should leave. Make sure to reduce the size of the entrance so that robbers returning won't gain entrance.

It would probably be best to give the cappings to a strong hive (capable of protecting itself) Later on you can redistribute honey to weaker hives if needed.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good advice Efmesch. :thumbsup:

4. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Well, before you guys post I gave it to the weaker bees and put in a entrance reducer. No problems.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Glad you got things under control. That's the important thing. :thumbsup:
    I've seen recommendations on the forum to place cappings honey in the open for cleaning up. I've always been leery of that method for exactly the reason that happened to you. Inside an empty super, it all gets cleaned up quietly. Out in the open it creates bedlam.