Wax foundation. Ever wonder?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Aug 9, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I had a bunch of old wax foundation that I had somehow come into possession of. I do not use wax foundation (this was the wired deep stuff). I held on to it for the longest time until I finally decided I would just melt it down in the solar melter and be done with. Make some candles or something useful I thought.
    (Sorry Jack and Iddee) :wink:
    So anyway, I melted it all down and boy was I shocked when I saw the colour of the wax when it was done! :shock:
    Just what in the heck do they do to the stuff to have it come out this colour? I put some wax I had just melted this afternoon next to it for comparison.
    The nice yellow wax came from cappings and junk wax.
    The brown stuff is from the foundation (only).
    What's up with that? :???:

Wax 026.jpg

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Where did you find that stuff. Tecumseh's grandfather?

Maybe they did things differently back in the 1600's.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

:grin:mad:Iddee!

Wow Perry, no doubt! That is weird.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Hmmm...don't think I'd want to be breathing anything that candle throws into the air.

5. bee stung

bee stung New Member

did the wire rust ?????

6. Marbees

Marbees Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I don't think Perry will use it for candles.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Did you remove the dirt dobber nest from it befote you melt it down.:lol: Jack

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

ahh Perry, did you forget to mention the old foundation I was actually drawn brood comb about 30 years old, that might, maybe explain the color lol

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Turn it into furniture polish. The color should embellish the hues of nice brown woodwork.

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Wax from rendered down brood comb Heated high enough and long enough to kill any diseases. The guys the make foundation also provides the service of rendering old combs, as well as the cappings. The nice clean yellow wax the sell at a premium price to candle makers, the brood stained they use for foundation.
    side note; After the border closer to the importation of bees from the USA and the pore price of honey during the 1980, large apiaries were being foreclosed and the wax renders where buying up the supers from the bailiffs just to render the combs, so there was a lot of darker wax around in the late 80's early 90's

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I think ApisBees might have the answer. This was just your regular wired deep foundation. Once it melted I had a mess of wires on my screen. Even my grubbiest wax renderings never came out this poorly. I'm not sure if it can be remelted and cleaned up, I don't think so. There was no pollen or anything to be caught up in it.
    Maybe Efmesch has the right idea, furniture wax or something.

One other note, I just returned from Halifax to find my latest solar melter rendering has done it's job beautifully. I put some pretty nasty smelly wax on it last night (I mean nasty smelling, diaper like stuff) It had been sitting in a bucket since last year and some water got in it. I have been curious all day to see if it still reeks or if the melting process cleaned up the wax. Be a shame if the wax stinks cause I certainly couldn't sell it.

12. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I would try to reclaim the "brown stuff".

First of all, I would cut off the upper yellow layer. This would then be wrapped in a filter material (I like paper kitchen towel) and put back in the solar melter. Another melt down should produce a cleaner cake.

The lower brown layer would be treated similarly but in a separate melt down.

I like to give priority to melting down wax likely to give a good result. The "grotty" discoloured bits of wax are lower in the queue.

I have two solar melters ---- one I use for clean light bits and one for the stained dark bits (such as old comb). Wax recovered in the "dirty" melter can be re-melted and filtered in the "clean" melter.