Wax Melter?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by larry tate, May 21, 2011.

1. larry tate

larry tate New Member

Can someone please explain how the commercial wax melters work seperating the wax and honey. Been doing it the hard way and was wondering if a melter is worth the investment. All comments appreciated.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

over the years in working in large honey houses and small I have found that the capping wax is usually the limiting factor in getting more honey in the pail. As far as I know all melters work on the same process which is they melt the wax which then floats in the liquid form to the top.... the honey is then drained off the bottom and the wax is drained off the top. the fancy ones have a slum gum rake that removes the slum gum.

at some point your 'potential' honey producing capacity should answer the question as to what kind of wax melter to use.

this year I purchased a very much used Kelley wax melter, although I would guess it will be next year before I get the opportunity to use it. Kelley (as far as I know) still makes these in two sizes with some estimate in the catalogue as to capacity of each.

3. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Bees wax melts at what, 138 degrees ???

You can't sell the honey as unheated,with all the good stuff can you ?

Murrell

4. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

If your melting empty comb/bur comb or drained cappings there will not be much honey to reclaim. Jim

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member