Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain how the commercial wax melters work seperating the wax and honey. Been doing it the hard way and was wondering if a melter is worth the investment. All comments appreciated.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
over the years in working in large honey houses and small I have found that the capping wax is usually the limiting factor in getting more honey in the pail. As far as I know all melters work on the same process which is they melt the wax which then floats in the liquid form to the top.... the honey is then drained off the bottom and the wax is drained off the top. the fancy ones have a slum gum rake that removes the slum gum.

at some point your 'potential' honey producing capacity should answer the question as to what kind of wax melter to use.

this year I purchased a very much used Kelley wax melter, although I would guess it will be next year before I get the opportunity to use it. Kelley (as far as I know) still makes these in two sizes with some estimate in the catalogue as to capacity of each.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Bees wax melts at what, 138 degrees ???

You can't sell the honey as unheated,with all the good stuff can you ?

Murrell

·
Registered
474 Posts
If your melting empty comb/bur comb or drained cappings there will not be much honey to reclaim. Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts