Wax Melter

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rail, Aug 22, 2012.

1. rail

rail New Member

Who manufactures a decent wax melter?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Perrybee just posted a picture of one he made for cheep search for the thread and there are plans in the how to section. unless you are looking for higher production then elecrtic dbl jacket water filed is the way to go.

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

I'm kinda confused about solar wax melters. Is there a filtering mechanism in them?

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sort of. The wax melts out and runs out the bottom. Everything else stays in place.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I just lay a piece of #8 hardware cloth on the pan, pile the wax on the cloth and when the wax melts, it goes through the hardware cloth and all the junk is left behind. Scrape that off and reuse the cloth.

7. jim314

jim314 New Member

Duh, see you ask a question and all of a sudden I see the light with the responses. It makes sense now :)

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Somehow that's so true about many things we learn---after we learn them, we wonder how was possible it that we didn't know them in the first place.

9. jim314

jim314 New Member

Happens to me all the time efmesch :) One more question, how do you rinse the honey out of the wax before you put it in the melter?

10. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

lol I let the bees do that, they are great at getting every bit of honey out of something:grin:

11. jim314

jim314 New Member

That's what I did last time. Major bee fighting with dead bees everywhere, which surprised me. I put the cappings in a container and also set the extractor in the bed of my pickup to be cleaned up. I wanted them to use the honey and they certainly wanted it :) I was just surprised at the amount of dead bees in the pickup bed.

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

First option: wash the cappings in a minimum amount of water and use the water with the honey for making mead.
    Second option: place the cappings in an empty hive box over an inner divider (as mentioned in the thread about robbing) and let the bees clean them out "under protection". When dry, take the cappings to be melted.
    Third option: place the capping in the solar wax extractor WITH the honey. They'll separate themselves during the melting process. The honey will be on the bottom and the wax will float on top. After the wax solidifies, it can be removed. The honey, can be used to feed back to any hive in need of help. It can also be used in cooking or baking (like honey cakes) but even though the honey may have been A+ when you put it in, it is second class honey now because of the effects from the heating--it's darker, without fragrance and sensitive organic compounds have decomposed.

13. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I have an old Root extractor that is a 20 frame radial it has a punched screen around the extractor where the frames sit and 3 steel plates that drop in the bottom so you can dump the cappings in and spin the honey out of them, works great. I bet it would work if you put your cappings in a bag and spun them out. or make a basket with #8 screen.
    just to make you all jealous It Cost me 200 lb. of honey back when we were selling honey at $1.00 per lb.

14. Fuzzybeekeeper

Fuzzybeekeeper New Member

I made a giant solar wax melter by laying an old refrigerator on its back and removing the door. I found an old glass house door while removing bees from a ladies house and paid her $10 for it. It fits the refrigerator pretty well. I have to stuff old carpet in some of the cracks or the bees will get in and die. It won't take much to put a 2X4 frame around it and mount the door on hinges.

I bought a round pan that you set under a hot-water heater in case of a leak. Another $10.

I put a round piece of #8 hardware cloth on top of a couple of wooden slats in the round pan. The pan sits on a couple of old shallow boxes and the wax runs out into a pail or bucket under the round pan.

On a good sunny, hot Texas day, the thermometer inside will register 200 degrees!!! It melts the wax real well.

You can even use the smaller "freezer" section to re-filter the wax a second time while you melt a new batch in the larger section.

I never feed the honey back to the bees like efmesch mentions in post #12. I understand that if the honey is heated over about 140 degrees it is bad for the bees. Gives them dysentery or something. Comments?

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Yep!
    For someone who joined the forum in 2009, you've been quiet for all too long.
    Now that you have finally posted, We can sayWELCOME. Glad to have you with us actively. BTW, does your name "Fuzzybeekeeper" hint that you are another member of the order of bearded beekeepers?
    Your wax extractor sounds amazing--the capability of doing an initial melting and a re-filtration at the same time is really unique.
    As to negative effects of the heated honey, I can't say yes or no--I personally have never noticed any problems with using the heated honey for feeding. But maybe it was just a lack of observation on my part. Then again, I don't feed it to them often (I've got several bottles of it back stocked in my storage shed, waiting for years to be used).

16. litefoot

litefoot New Member

I have a solar oven with reflective panels on all sides that I'm going to try out as a wax melter. Probably too expensive for a wax melter, but if you're looking for an emergency preparedness oven for cooking that could do double duty with the wax, then it might be of interest to some.
    www.sunoven.com

17. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

That should get hot!

18. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

rail,
    i have never purchased one, but here is my solar wax melter, and how i prepare and melt wax in another thread:

riverbees melter post#17

i am trying to find pictures of perry's and ef's........