Wax Moth Damage

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Eddy Honey, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Are these frames too far gone to be saved?
    IMG_8733.jpg IMG_8734.jpg IMG_8735.jpg IMG_8736.jpg IMG_8737.jpg IMG_8738.jpg IMG_8739.jpg IMG_8740.jpg IMG_8741.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

These are the worst of the bunch: IMG_8750.jpg IMG_8751.jpg IMG_8752.jpg IMG_8753.jpg IMG_8754.jpg IMG_8755.jpg

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Eddy,i don't see any frames shown that the bees can't clean up? It;s the ones that the webs cover most of the frames and the wax is ate clear through is the ones i trash. JMHO, Jack

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Eddy in most the pictures there is plastic foundation so the wax moth can not do as much destruction. As jack said the bees will have no problem cleaning it up. Just freeze it to kill any larva or eggs so they don't continue there comb destruction.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Those don't look too bad. Use an uncapping fork to removes the worst parts, lifting it off, and they should be good to go in a strong hive.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Eddy, you're a lucky man to be able to ask about those frames. You don't know what really messed up wax mothed frames look like. May you never see some of the mess I've come across recently. Like Jack, Apis and Perry have said, they are all re-useable after a little care: remove the webbing that you can, freeze the larvae to death, and I would add, if you can, spray them with BT. They should be good for several more seasons.

7. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Mine were much worse than that and after doing like you've been advised by these gents, the bees cleaned them up very nicely. Good luck.