wax moth help!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by JUDELT, May 26, 2012.

1. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

Hi all. I just have a question. I knew this hive was weak and upon inspection I found out it was gone. there was a moth in it and lots of brood box frames with damaged foundation and then we found many stages of larvae! should we clean these frames up and reuse them or not? i should destroy the foundation, right? and should i do anyting around the area to get rid of anything on the ground,etc? thanks. the other 3 hives are doing great 1

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Wax moths take over a hive that has gotten too weak to defend themselves against the wax moth.

As far as using the frames and boxes over again, yes! just clean them up and scrape out any comb that is badly damaged. I just use a hive tool or pocket knife and scrape clean the whole frame. Sunshine will drive any of the remaining larva off of the wood. Put some new foundation in them and the bees will take care of the rest. Wax moths will not harm foundation, at least not very much since there is nothing in it for them to eat. There is nothing to do around the hives to deter them, just keep your hives strong.

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

depends on how severely damaged the frames are, suggest you freeze them killing off the wax moth and their larvae, then put the equipment on a strong colony to clean up.
    Barry

4. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Spray the frames with Bt, works great ,

Murrell

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

or collect up all those larvae in a can and then go fishin'.

there is nothing in foundation a wax moth should desire. most times the destruction spreads from where ever the brood nest was which results in some damage to frames and other stuff as the larvae spread out and then morph to their pupae state. most times I simple clean everything out and start over again.

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

Murrell, where do you buy Bt?

7. bee stung

bee stung New Member

sundance at http://www.drylakefarm.com/email-us/
    bt comes as 2 diffident products ,, the one you what is Bt aizawai it also is called brand name Certan/B401 or brand name Xentari ,, most if not all that is in the box stores is NOT what you want to use

8. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Go down too the Tradeing Post.
    Send Sundance a PM.

Murrell

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

BT really helps. I sprayed all my bait hive comb with it. I see the occasional moth, but never larva, almost no comb damage. I got it from drylake farms I think.