Wax moth TBH

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BeepsBees, Oct 17, 2016.

1. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I see white worms in my hive. Wax moth?? Will they take care of them there selves if there isn't too many? How many is too many? I'm in FL. How can I get rid of them and is there a not treatment method? Please help. Top bar hive. Queen cells hatched a few weeks ago. Haven't spotted the queen yet I need to open the hive to look. I didn't want to disturb it bcz of new queen I saw the worms when I moved a bar and through the viewing window. There are a lot of drones and they're getting kicked out mown dead drones Infront of hive. Hope this is normal. I'll look for the new queen tomorrow and update on her and how many worms I see.

2. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

I don't have much experience with wax moths, but there should be tunnels through the frames cells with webbing left behind them. If not I would guess SMB.

3. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

4. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I saw some webbing around the worms like they where in a cocoon when I saw them in the crevice of the viewing window. Another day I put in another top bar for room and saw a small worm that I smashed. Tomorrow I'll look inside because I finally have time off. What can i do to kill these worms

5. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

I have never had them in an active hive, but in frames I have pulled and left out temporarily. On those frames I used tweezers and pulled them out, the put the frames in the freezer for a couple day to kill any potential eggs.

6. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

I could be wrong but I don't believe there is anything that can be done in an active hive besides manual extraction of them. The best way is prevention with a strong hive. Large bee presence will keep them at bay.

7. paint504

paint504 Member

If a frame gets infested you can put it in the freezer killing everything plus the brood. After that put it back in the hive and your bees will clean out the dead Beetle larva and brood.

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

reduce real estate. and reduce entrance size, so the bees can defend the hive from moths.

9. jredburn

jredburn New Member

Probably to late to do anything. If you see white webbing like spider web it is wax moth. If it is just white grubs it is SHB. Both will eat their way through the comb and poop on what they dont eat.