Wax moths? ...there?

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by d.magnitude, Sep 30, 2010.

1. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Hey guys,
    I just shook out my laying worker hive and made an unhappy discovery (as if the LW hive wasn't enough). My hive stands consist of cinder blocks with a couple pieces of wood on top, which the bottom board rests on. When I took this hive off its stand, I noticed wood shavings around the blocks of wood. I flipped them over to find shallow cavities filled with dozens of what I guess to be Wax Moth larvae.

Why would they hang out there (if that's even what they are)? It seems rather removed from the hive. I saw no damage to my bottom board. To top it off, this is exterior, pressure-treated, lumber that they've burrowed into. I thought I had a pretty good hive stand setup, but I guess I better rethink that. I noticed wood pulp under my other hives as well, so I guess I'll need to pull the boards out from under them too.

Don't beekeeps commonly have their hives on some sort of wooden stand? I was really surprised that this would cause trouble.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if your bottom board is your typical commercial made variety with side rails and three or so boards running across the width of the hive????? then I would suspect the wax worm obtained there start when wax debris fell into the cracks. I have seen it here on a number of occasion and is exactly why I try to make my own bottom boards with plywood (and less the gaps).

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I am starting to think that SBB that are open to the ground might help pomate the wax moth on the outside of a hive. Wax cappings can fall onto hive stands and give the wax moth a place to get started.

4. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I do have SBBs on all of my hives. At one point recently, I had sticky boards under my SBB, while one of my hives was being robbed. There was a greater than usually amount of cappings on that sticky board after 48 hrs. and it was also covered with Wax Moth larvae.

I agree that I suspect that's where they got their start. But I also suspect I have problems under my hives that do not have a history of being robbed (and a history of lots of wax debris under the hive). If I remove the wood from my hive stands, do you think that would solve the problem, or do you think they would just make a home in the wood of the SBB? All of my remaining hives are pretty strong at this point.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

just import yourself some fire ants <likely not such good advice.

ps one of the reason's I have not use sbb is that one spring time I had a customer who brought me several nucs with sbb and it seemed to me the small hive beetle in these were always approaching infestation levels. the sbb just allowed the small hive beetle easier access to the goodies and when bothered by the worker bees they fled thru the screed to the bottom side of the box. for me it really was a startling first exposure to screened bottom boards.