Wax Moths

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by cromag, Mar 9, 2016.

1. cromag

cromag New Member

I live in Ohio with crazy weather. Im in the country with plenty for my bees to feed on. Last summer wax moths took over and destroyed both of my hives. In the process of cleaning up frames and boxes in hopes of new swarms this spring. What can i do to help prevent another wax moth infestation?

2. danl

danl New Member

Wax moths usually come in after the hive is weak. Strong hives is your best defense.

3. cromag

cromag New Member

I had the bees for two seasons so im still new to beekeeping. Any steps i should take after my hive swarms in the spring?

4. danl

danl New Member

Feed them if they will take it. Good ventilation helps too.

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Sun helps, and to protect comb, in winter spray it with BT Azawai (Bacillus Thureinsis -spelling is wrong though)

6. cromag

cromag New Member

Thanks for the tips!

7. Ray

Ray Member

I don't understand. What do you mean my swarms. Swarming severely weakens the hives that cast a swarm. Do you mean; you are going to capture some swarms and put them in your empty hives?
    Placing the frames with comb in a freezer will kill the eggs and larva of the wax moth. Let them warm before using, however.

8. cromag

cromag New Member

When my first hive swarmed i capture that swarm to start my second hive. Then the second hive swarmed last spring. Im still in the learning phase and the wax moths were a hard lesson. They destroyed all the comb and foundation. The bees are gone. How can i prevent swarming?

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

No one can fully prevent swarming, but if you see swarm cells (multiple queen cells, lots of drone brood) you can do a split and un-crowd the bees by dividing them into 2 hives and often this works. I also provide a swarm box or 2 in my apiary, and often my swarms just move into my swarm trap and I just get a new hive out of it. search and read the files.

10. cromag

cromag New Member

If swarming weakens the colony is there anyway to keep wax moths out? I read online you can staple window screen over the inner cover hole to keep the female moth from entering thru the top and laying eggs.

11. danl

danl New Member

I always screen the inner cover hole. Here in Alabama. I double the hole size and screen it. Helps vendors some of the heat. In winter they will propolis it. In summer they clear it off.

12. cromag

cromag New Member

Ok. Thanks danl! Makes sense!

13. Ray

Ray Member

In BeeKeeping there are NO easy answers. Experience is the best teacher.
    Swarming- In the late spring start watching for drone brood during your inspections. Drones are produced because swarm season is almost here. The inspections should be at least at two week intervals! A queen from fresh egg to emergence is 16 days. A hive may swarm before the 16th day!
    Swarm Cells- Bad news. Do you want more hives or honey? If you want honey you can split and then re-combined the split (later) and have a huge workforce (if your lucky). If you want more hive - A large hive can be split 3 ways. Remember each split must have either a queen, a queen cell or eggs to make queen cells. They also need a good workforce and enough pollen and honey.

14. cromag

cromag New Member

If i split the hive and recombine later will the queens just fight it out? When i split do i remove all frames with queen cells on them?

15. danl

danl New Member

Before recombine kill the queen in weaker hive , pull the top and inner cover on strong hive, put a sheet of newspaper on top, then put weak hive on top.

16. cromag

cromag New Member

When i split the hive before swarming do i pull the frame with the queen and place it in the nuc box and leave the frames with the queen cells in the hive?