wax moths

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ktbearpaws, Aug 15, 2010.

1. ktbearpaws

ktbearpaws New Member

I opened the lid on my hive today and to my horror found a wax moth. My hive seems to be fairly strong...Just wondering what actions I need to take...

2. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

A strong hive should take care of wax moths on their own. If you have alot of unoccupied brood frames where bee larvae or pollen has been stored then you will need to pull them out and store them but as long as the bees have the frames covered a wax moth is no problem.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ditto what he said, but you should also do a search on Certan B-401. It, or the generic that Sundance sells, is good to have around.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

just trying to get my facts correct... or as old Joe Friday and Sgt Smith you to say 'just the facts mam'... you found one adult wax moth at the top of the hive?

5. ktbearpaws

ktbearpaws New Member

As a matter of fact, I found 3 on the inside of the cover. I didn't go down into the lower super into the brood nest. I tring to wait and see if I see more sign of an infestation, or if the bees controled the situation. :beg:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

is the top super empty or recently extracted? how large is this hive?

a minimum intervention typically involves removing empty frames and thereby crowding the bees somewhat. freeze any suspected frames (in a plastic bag if the freezer belongs to the misses) for 24 hours.

here the first external signs of wax moth are small bits of pieces of brown wax and pollen coming out the front door. typically by that time intervention should have taken place yesterday. if upon internal inspection you notice any webs between the frames (usually towards the outsides of the boxes) you know you have a much more serious problem. again freeze any suspected frames. at this latter stage I usually find once I have reduced the hive to uncontaminated frames just a bit of feeding (a quart or so) helps their morale.