Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my Christmas gifts was a candle mold! Guess I'm going to try my hand at that this year.

I was thinking of buying a wax melting/pouring pitcher, and wanted some advice. Brushy Mtn. has this pitcher:
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/2- ... info/3532/
but it is not stainless steel.

First Question: Is there some reason Brushy Mtn's pitcher has this rim and spout design? Or would others work just as well? Here's a stainless water pitcher I found with a plain spout:
http://www.amazon.com/Pitcher-Stainless ... 4SXRBM2082

And here is another one, but I wonder if the ice guard would clog with wax???:
http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-W ... 4SXRBM2082

Second question: What is a good capacity? I have an 8-cavity, 10" taper mold. How much wax does that take? How much wax can one pour before reheating is necessary?

The Brushy Mtn pitcher is 2 qt, as is the SS pitcher with the ice guard. The other SS pitcher is only 1 qt.

Any advice before I purchase would be welcome!

·
Registered
929 Posts
I'm no authority. I have only taken one candle making class through our bee club. None of these pitchers looks like the ones that were at the class. I will say this much: I think you heat the wax up in those pitchers so they will need to set on a burner of some type. We were cautioned repeatedly that bees wax is highly flammable. I can see where the Brushy pitcher would keep the wax from dribbling down the sides. When it comes to size, I think it's better to error by going too big than too small. Who knows? You may like it so much that you add to your molds.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
srvfan, you would have to use the pitcher in a double-boiler set-up, with a canning-type rack in the bottom of the water pan. Good point about the dribbling, though. The whole point of having a pitcher would be to keep beeswax out of my cooking pans.

iddee, I like the presto pot idea, too. Actually, I was looking a the ready made one and thinking I could use that basket for blanching veggies to can or freeze! My Yankee self balks at b-b-buying something, and I haven't found one with a thermostat at the Thrift store.

Iddee said:
As for your mold, fill it with water, then measure the water.
:doh: Doh!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On a related note:

I have read that using aluminim pans for melting wax will discolor your wax. I have also heard that people use aluminum with no problems.

Any experience with Aluminum pans (good or bad) on this forum?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Mine is aluminum and no problems at all. No discoloration.

(Sorry, I meant my pour pot is aluminum, not my melting pot, it's S/S.)

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I had posted earlier on this thread and some how it did not make it here.

The heavier made the pitcher is, the longer it will hold heat allowing a longer pour time. That is if you were using the pitcher as the double boiler (melting pot) and not just transferring the wax from the melting pot to the moulds.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, G3, that's good info. It makes perfect sense, but I never thought of that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts