Wax Pouring pitchers

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by Hobie, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

One of my Christmas gifts was a candle mold! Guess I'm going to try my hand at that this year.

I was thinking of buying a wax melting/pouring pitcher, and wanted some advice. Brushy Mtn. has this pitcher:
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/2- ... info/3532/
    but it is not stainless steel.

First Question: Is there some reason Brushy Mtn's pitcher has this rim and spout design? Or would others work just as well? Here's a stainless water pitcher I found with a plain spout:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pitcher-Stainless ... 4SXRBM2082

And here is another one, but I wonder if the ice guard would clog with wax???:
    http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-W ... 4SXRBM2082

Second question: What is a good capacity? I have an 8-cavity, 10" taper mold. How much wax does that take? How much wax can one pour before reheating is necessary?

The Brushy Mtn pitcher is 2 qt, as is the SS pitcher with the ice guard. The other SS pitcher is only 1 qt.

Any advice before I purchase would be welcome!

2. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Watchin patiently.. I am curious on this too.

3. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I'm no authority. I have only taken one candle making class through our bee club. None of these pitchers looks like the ones that were at the class. I will say this much: I think you heat the wax up in those pitchers so they will need to set on a burner of some type. We were cautioned repeatedly that bees wax is highly flammable. I can see where the Brushy pitcher would keep the wax from dribbling down the sides. When it comes to size, I think it's better to error by going too big than too small. Who knows? You may like it so much that you add to your molds.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

srvfan, you would have to use the pitcher in a double-boiler set-up, with a canning-type rack in the bottom of the water pan. Good point about the dribbling, though. The whole point of having a pitcher would be to keep beeswax out of my cooking pans.

iddee, I like the presto pot idea, too. Actually, I was looking a the ready made one and thinking I could use that basket for blanching veggies to can or freeze! My Yankee self balks at b-b-buying something, and I haven't found one with a thermostat at the Thrift store.

:doh: Doh!

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

On a related note:

I have read that using aluminim pans for melting wax will discolor your wax. I have also heard that people use aluminum with no problems.

Any experience with Aluminum pans (good or bad) on this forum?

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Mine is aluminum and no problems at all. No discoloration.

(Sorry, I meant my pour pot is aluminum, not my melting pot, it's S/S.)

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I had posted earlier on this thread and some how it did not make it here.

The heavier made the pitcher is, the longer it will hold heat allowing a longer pour time. That is if you were using the pitcher as the double boiler (melting pot) and not just transferring the wax from the melting pot to the moulds.

9. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Thanks, G3, that's good info. It makes perfect sense, but I never thought of that.