Wax

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jamisonbrooks, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Jamisonbrooks

Jamisonbrooks New Member

i have noted in my beehive that my bees are chewing the wax from the bottom brood box there not repairing it there getting rid of it some how. Should I be conserend. What should I do?

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

are they using it to build elsewhere? how are the honey stores? just to make sure no chance or being robbed?

3. Jamisonbrooks

Jamisonbrooks New Member

How do I tell if there building elsewhere? If there is robbing would the comb destroyed? And i have heard of wax moths getting into comb i didn't see any sines of moths but is th

4. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

usually wax moths are not in an active hive, if it is being robbed they will take the honey and comb..if your bees are taking it are they building new comb on other frames? also, are you seeing new brood or the queen?

5. Jamisonbrooks

Jamisonbrooks New Member

Some new brood but not a lot do I need to rotât the boxes or is it too late in the year

6. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

whats your location? if its starting to get cold by you that may be normal reduction in brood, but im not sure...usually the bees make comb like crazy, not eat up what they have already made, how much honey do they have stored up for the up coming winter?

7. Jamisonbrooks

Jamisonbrooks New Member

Last I checked there was 8 of the 10 frames full of honey in the upper brood box 0 in the bottent brood box and 5 full frames in the honey super. I live in Cynthiana Ky.

8. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

sounds like plenty of honey and the hive is not being robbed, maybe the bees are just remodeling...I would just keep an eye on them for now, unless some else chimes in with a better idea if anything else is going on..

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

if a flow slows down the bees will uncap honey and eat it, if you are between late summer and goldenrod, they might be eating it and feeding to brood.