Waxed Rite-Cell Foundaton-adding additional wax

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Rick54, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Rick54

Rick54 Member

Trying some Mann Lake waxed Rite-Cell foundation for the first time. From what I've read, it's best to add additional wax to the already waxed foundation sheets before putting into the frames. So I'm thinking hot melted wax. Do you find it best to roll it on with a small 4 inch paint roller, brush it on with a brush, or dip it? I do have a portable restaurant hot plate that if I had some kind of tall rectangular steel can (still searching for the ideal can) that I could sit on it to melt the wax for dipping might work satisfactory. Drill a small hole on each end of the sheet to facilitate a wire hook for lowering and hanging the sheets into the hot wax. What procedure have you found to be the simplest for adding wax to pre-waxed foundation sheets?

2. mark nic

mark nic New Member

brushed mine on after putting then into frames did the frames while I was at it

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I've never added wax but my plasticell comes from Dadant. So I can't tell you how. Although I will be rewaxing some older frames this winter, if you'd like to post what works for you