Wayne's bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Iddee, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I had the state inspector over today. We pulled a sugar shake on three hives. All Wayne's bees.

1..9 year old hive, never treated with anything.... 20 mites.

2..Old hive of Italians given to me this summer and requeened in July with Wayne's bees...16 mites.

3..This year's hive, Started with removal bees and Wayne's bees queen...8 mites.

None of these hives have been treated at anytime with anything.

I am well satisfied with the results.

2. Omie

Omie Active Member

Yeah, I feel pesticides/miticides are overrated and may in fact weaken bees' natural ability to defend themselves and rid the hive of pests. I see more and more small bk's turning towards no treatment and resistant/hygienic bees. I feel this trend will grow.
    (now to run off and duck any tomatoes coming my way!) lol

Congrats on having such strong healthy bees! :)

3. larry tate

larry tate New Member

Great results. Cant wait till spring to start raising queens from this stock. The one Wally gave us is doing well and her daughters are unique. Most have marking that makes them look kind of tiger striped. Hard top explain.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

them are the genetics that give the chemical companies executives nightmares. If bee companies and chemical companies job is to sell there products. our job as bee keepers is to figure out if we need the items they are trying to sell you. look through a catalog sometime for a bee keeping company and see how many items they offer that you actually have or would find useful in your operation they are offering for sale

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

larry writes:
    Most have marking that makes them look kind of tiger striped.

tecumseh:
    TIGERS... well you got my attention.

Not so long ago I pointed out one of those here to Sundance. These are (imho) very unusual queens way beyond their unusual coloration. I think you description is quite well done... or it is exactly how I describe the queen's color.

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We have had Wayne's bees since we first started. Iddee and Wayne gave a hive of them to Little Man and that hive is still in our bee yard!

Tiger striped pretty much says it, but their appearance is very unique with deep caramel and gold colors and a smooth shiny black that is almost reflective. Our favorite thing about them is that they are super productive, the queens lay extremely well and produce honey very well even under stressful conditions. We have queens from the original hive of Wayne's bees in all of our hives now except the bee tree and one that Iddee gave the kids that will be requeened this coming spring.

When we first got Wayne's bees we realized that there is a huge difference in these bees. We would watch our other two hives (at that time) walk around SHBs, ants, spiders and such, but Wayne's bees just ain't having no uninvited company in their house! At first it was a challenge to make sure they had enough room in the hive since they grow in population and stores so quickly..... now that we are so used to them we think the non Wayne's bees are slow pokes. We love them so much that the kids do as much as they know how to do to protect those traits in our bee yard. We are thrilled that they are being made more available!!!

7. tcchris

tcchris New Member

Is it possible to buy queens of these bees ?

8. rast

rast New Member

Contact Larry Tate in the above post. He may have some this spring.

9. larry tate

larry tate New Member

Yes we plan to raise some spring 2011. Some at our yards and some at Wallys. Booking now. Thanks

10. tcchris

tcchris New Member

Sounds great , I will either get some this spring or next . Having some economic probs so I may have to wait for 2012