We got our bees!!!!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rw02kr43, Jun 18, 2012.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

We went and picked them up on Saturday. Had them put in a deep box that we took with us. The queen was still in her little cage with some candy. We took them home and untaped the boxes. We put a bottle feeder on top of the inner cover and put another deep box over that then the top cover. I have no idea if they are eating the food or not. We were told that they would let the queen out either that day or if they didn't, to open the cage and let her out.
    So I opened up the hive on sunday and she was in the cage and buzzing around. I opened the little hole and she went running down into the box. She sure was in a hurry. She has a big green dot on her. So hopefully I did that right. I've sat out there next to the hive for a while and watched them come in and leave. I went out there saturday night with the flashlight and there were a bunch of the bees at both entrances just standing there. I also have a water bottle out in front of the hive but I don't know if they are drinking or not. I haven't seen any bees on it.
    I've seen a few bees returning full of pollen. So I hope they are finding some somewhere. So we've had our bees 2 days and they are great fun so far. No stings yet either. Only a burn from my smoker.

Jason

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sounds like everything went well. I would normally let the bees release her, even if it takes a few days. Pollen coming in is always a good sign.
    I would say that you are now truly initiated but the burn doesn't count (even if it was by the smoker). Only stings will meet the criteria.
    Welcome to the family. :mrgreen:

3. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

yeah I thought so too about the queen. But the guy said that if she wasn't out by Sunday to just let her out ourselves.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jason

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Jason, 1. Better (getting them) late than never.
    2. It sounds like the forum can add you to its long list of hooked addicts. Glad to have you among us. Only a beek really understands the excitement of another beek. :wink:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Congrats. I would suggest removing one box until they have drawn out 8 or more frames, then add the second box. Too much space for them to guard at this time.

6. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

The second box has no frames in it. I set the feeder jar on top of the inner cover then put a box around it and covered it to make it less easy for robbers. The feeder I have is one of those that goes in the front. I can't put it there while using the entrance reducer.

Jason

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Excellent! It's fun to watch them isn't it? I feel your excitement as If I were receiving mine for the first time...I look forward to seeing how your bees progress....I bet it won't be long before I see another hive there....:grin:

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

an rw02kr43 (sounds like some character from Star Wars) writes...
    Only a burn from my smoker.

tecumseh:
    a lot of commercial beekeeper hold a smoker by squeezing it between their knees (I know sounds odd, but commercial beekeepers are an odd lot).. a smoker guard is essential in maintaining this pose but would also somewhat decrease the chance of a new beekeeper burning themselves or lighting up their neighborhood.

9. jim314

jim314 New Member

Hurts worse than any bee sting I've had.