Weather happenings and observations.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BjornBee, Nov 9, 2009.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Someone mentioned a thread on another site where comments on the weather would be made. And who better to comment on the weather than sleepless beekeepers wondering if their bees have enough food... :thumbsup:

Today they are calling for 68 degrees here in central Pennsylvania. :Dancing: A great day to make some rounds and see whats happening before the big freeze.

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Apparently also a great day for robbing attempts, since there are minimal flowers still in bloom. Darn them!

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Above normal here. Bees all over the critters outside water dishes.

7:53 AM 11-9-09

53F, feel like 53F, humidity 76%, wind SW @ 10 MPH, sunny.

Yesterdays high 71F. such a beautiful fall day.

:( Al

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Our wonderful, educated, always correct weathermen....

High today..73 Present temp..75

5. Walt B

Walt B New Member

It seems we're all having nice weather. It's 76 here and the rest of the week is supposed to be the same: highs in the mid 70's, lows in the mid 50's. My wife tells me the girls are out and busy.

Actually, when she was rooting roses (her honey vs. rooting hormone experiment) and went to take cuttings, she left a small jar of honey open in the potting shed. That's how she new there were a lot of bees out and about! Didn't take them long to find the honey! :lol:

Walt

6. rast

rast New Member

Speak for yourself Walt :D . Here my bees are getting blown past the hives as they try to come in with that storm in the gulf, they aren't use to your Texas winds :p .

7. Charles

Charles New Member

50 and 60's here, will be all week :) I may get a chance to get some long overdue chores done.

8. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

8:01 AM 11-10-09

38F, feels like 38F, humidity 89%, wind NNE @ 3 MPH, sunny.

Yesterdays high 63F, sprinkling of rain last evening.

Kare kept saying all day, Look at all the bees in the water dish. I counted 39 at one time.
    Am wondering what they are doiing with the water? It is fall and not summer after all.

The girls were also in the saw dust I made yesterday when making some window frames.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

We're looking for the remains of Ida to come in tonight and give us about 4 inches of rain. High of about 60 today.

10. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Just came in from watching bees bring in pollen. In the 60's. But that is about to change... :cry:

On a side note, I was hoping since my wife's name is ida, (pronounced eeda, since she is from Denmark) that the storm would be a real big one. :Dancing:

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

We started getting the rain last night, pretty good showers this morning and tapering off now. Susposed to be out of here by 11:00 pm and pretty for the next week.

I was wanting to go fishing yesterday during the low pressure, but a cow got out, transmission went out on wifes van, and fella never did call back about a job to look at, and the bush hog parts came in to the tune of $1,200 and some change. Oh well, now where is that karma!

G3

12. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Seems the fish had pretty good karma :lol:

Walt

13. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

i wonder if the bees get cabin fever like I do in all the dreary weather? I wanted to go get some work done in my garden today, and burn off a weedy patch in the spot beside the garden too. I also wanted to wash the bed linens and hang it out to dry......

Poor bees, stuck inside waiting for the rain to quit :(

14. rast

rast New Member

2 days of 25-30 mph winds. Just started to get some much needed rain about 30 min ago. Quiting now.

15. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Earlier this summer, I put a feeder on one of my hives just before a stretch of drenching rain that lasted nearly a week. I figured the bees would be bored. But they must have had other work to do... the syrup was totally ignored. Guess I can understand that. I have about 50,000 things that "should" be done in my house that I never seem to get to.

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The remains of Ida are passing over. We are getting drenched.
    Temp. 55 F.

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Our rain ended late last night, Iddee I would think you will have rain all day since it was moving your way, pretty cool here this morning.

G3

18. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

8:08 AM 11-11-09

28f, feels like 28f, humidity 93%, wind N @ 4 MPH, sunny and frosty.

Yesterdays high 56F.

Is real frosty this morning, grass looks like it has a lite dusting of snow.
    Cool nights has the deer all going crazy. Sat in the living room this morning and watched a 3 point(eastern count) buck chase a few does all over the hill side across the creeek and even in the side and front yard. This normally the peck of the rut not the chase faze which comes first. I figure the warm weather has wset the rut peak back a week or more.
    Our fire arm season opens sunday the 15th.

19. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

The temp says 45. But we are still getting sleet this morning. First frozen precep of the year. After a few warm days, it's turned cold and really raw. :cry:

20. G3farms

G3farms New Member

SLEET?!??!! My goodness, I sure can live with out thatshould get to around 65 here today. Sun is just shining so bright this morning.

G3