Weather happenings and observations.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BjornBee, Nov 9, 2009.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

It was the same as iddee here this mourning, upper 50's this afternoon with rain coming this weekend and temp. Sunday supposed to be 68F? With the weather going up and down i'll have to keep a close eye on the hives, flying out looking for something not there on warm days will make them burn through there stores.:???: Jack

2. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Well, you folks have got to get to Texas, where it's cold! 31F last night and a high of 48 today. Supposed to be 30F tonight. Covered the beans last night and tonight. Then the next 4 days are supposed to be in the upper 60's to 80 and the lows in the upper 40's, low 50's. Gee, I guess you missed our cold. :roll:

Walt

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

The last time we saw any reasonable rain in my neighborhood was onApril 21-22 last spring. Since then we have had only 0.6 mm in September--just enough to dampen the ground a bit. That's almost seven months!:cry:
    Temps are going down little by litttle, but we're still waiting for a real first rain of the season, something that will soak the ground and let us forget about watering by sprinklers and hoses.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

yep we had a little cold front blow thru. last time I checked it is suppose to be 70 ish friday afternoon. anyone here who complains of rain and wet weather is subject be being flogged, hung and the keel hauled.

5. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

........ and then we're gonna hurt ya!

I planted my cover crops, (oats, wheat and common vetch mixture) in September. There was enough rain to bring it up so I fertilized it last week because there was rain in the forecast. It did not rain, and I am now looking at next week. Our drought continues.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

Got to 70F here today with a light rain off and on, it's in the low 60's F now (10:52pm). An employee at the MFA feed store called this afternoon and ask if i was coming in today, said if i was bring 2 quarts of honey, and he wanted to show me a 5 pound turnip a customer brought in, and ask, if i had any turnips he would like to have some. I took him the honey, a bag (the plastic market bags)of med. size turnips, and 3 more bags with 1 turnip in each of them,2 of them weighed over 5# ea. and the other one weighed 7 pounds:shock:. I might have started a Turnip War.:lol:. Jack
    PS. The word got out that i had free turnips, getting to see neighbors i haven't seen in a while, and meeting new neighbors and town people.:thumbsup:

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Maybe they think you spell it TURN UPS and wanted to cooperate.:rolling::rotfl:

8. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Jack:

Doesn't it feel good to give away produce grown in your garden? I eat nearly anything, but turnips are not on my edible list. I do love turnip greens, but not the turnips. That being said, I have grown turnips many times for the greens, and I have never seen a turnip that weighed much, if any, over a pound. A seven pound turnip seems to be a world beater to me.

9. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Ef, you have a great sense of humor. My dad taught me to find some humor when possible. He said sometimes life's a bitch, so when you get an opportunity have a good laugh. He thought man was the only animal that laughed. Mark Twain wrote that: "man is the only animal that blushes or needs to."

10. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

As of 9am this morning it is 63 degrees and windy. Rain has been spotty. High 73. This wind should get the rest of the leaves off the trees in my neighborhood and blown right into my yard!

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

55 F. and cloudy. Looking for68 F. this afternoon.

Crazy, don't forget to send each neighbor a check for all that mulch they are sending you. :thumbsup:

12. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Set a new high for the day, 89F (31.6C). Highs are supposed to be in the 70's the rest of the week and then 40's over the weekend. But that's a long way out for forecasting. :grin:

Walt

13. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Lots of warm weather and storms today. I hope everyone makes it through ok.

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

well, winter is here for us.....whipping winds up a skirt......:lol: and very cold, about 28 now and temp dropping quickly, with freezing temps coming on. it rained all weekend, with some thunder and lightening.....
    the wind is enough to make me move to another state......ok wisconsin WINTERS are enough to make me move to another state.....:lol:

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It's bitter cold here, too, riverbee. Down to 62 F. now, going all the way to 60 F. before morning. :rolling:

We have a spare bedroom if you and the lesser half decide to come down.

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

dang near intolerable here.... day time temperatures in the 60 and low 70's and almost hot enough to make you think about sweating.

17. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I had tornadoes today. 70+ this morning, conditions ripe for severe weather. Was watching cell on radar and looked to be producing tornado 10 miles away. Like any good Midwesterner i jumped in the car for a better look. Intercepted it 3 miles away, stopped 1/4 mile before where it crossed the road in front of me while I watched the cop in front of me drive right into it. Worst of the damage was in Washington, IL about 8 miles NE. Looks like EF4 damage there, friend from work lost his house completely, wiped clean off the foundation.

18. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"It's bitter cold here, too, riverbee. Down to 62 F. now, going all the way to 60 F. before morning. [​IMG]
    We have a spare bedroom if you and the lesser half decide to come down."

"dang near intolerable here.... day time temperatures in the 60 and low 70's and almost hot enough to make you think about sweating."

that's funny iddee and tec......tec, i bet you miss being in north dakota about this time of year...........:lol:

iddee, my lesser half got on a jag today and one of the jags was he decided to rip the fan out of the bathroom and was messing with the door to the attic, what little door there is, (insulation guys coming on tuesday) and then decided he was too hot and sweaty and opened the window in the bathroom and windows in adjacent rooms for most of the afternoon; winds blowing icy cold air through the house and because he's an energy miser, turned down the heat in the house cuz he didn't want the heat going out the windows........ gee, imagine that......it heated up here pretty good and got icy cold at the same time with the bickerson thing we had going......:lol:
    anyways, i will send my lesser half down to north carolina, i would enjoy a vacation from anal retentive..........:lol:

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Love is beautiful, isn't it? :D

20. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Anal retentive and engineering go hand in hand. My wife refers to me as anal retentive and concrete sequential because I do not multitask. For sure, your hubby is your "quieter half." :)