Weather happenings and observations.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BjornBee, Nov 9, 2009.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

High of 35F here today, the wife is cooking up a storm, we are having our Thanksgiving this Sunday. Times have changed from when i was growing up, we had our family get together on Thanksgiving day and on Christmas day,we now celebrate on days everyone can all be together.:thumbsup: Sorry gotta go, i smell pumpkin pie coming out of the oven.:lol: Jack

2. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I'm being requested IN the kitchen to help get pumpkin pie in the oven.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have swiss chard, broccoli, carrots and onions freshly planted, still haven't gotten my sweet potatoes dug, guess it will have to wait til Weds. I have to improve a chicken coop before tonight.

4. Minz

Minz Member

Sun is out here in the rainy side of Oregon. Its been below freezing at night warming into the mid 40’s. Wind picked up yesterday. The other side of the mountains we live at the base of gets a different weather pattern and the pressure differences make for some serious winds. A couple of miles north of us have 70 MPH winds with some strong gusts.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the past two days has brought us a little rain and a 40 degree drop in temperature. it is burr outside and very windy.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

about 12 degrees here now, lite snow cover.......and about a 10-15 degree below zero windchill factor......., BRRRRRR.......:lol:

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I tried to get a look at the ISON comet and its tail before dawn this morning, but a light cloud cover prevented my seeing it. Maybe tomorrow. If only the clouds would bring us some rain-----

8. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Ef:

Is in real dusty where you life? Is the top soil a fine mixed, small grain matrix or is larger clay like particles? In the Panhandle of Texas the top soil is composed of very fine particles and it is easily wind born. Since the wind blows most of the time the cars, and houses have dust in them. One can park a car with the windows up and within 24 to 48 hours there will be a fine layer of sand on the interior of the vehicle. It doesn't seem to be a health problem as there are many old wrinkled folks out there. It's a curious mind thing.

And since this is a bee forum, do your bees get dust in their hives? :)

9. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

We're in for about 48 hours of occasional drizzle and ice pellets. It won't bring much moisture, but it will set my fertilizer in the ground and give me some more time for a real rain. The temps will be from 28 to 35 degrees for the next few days. That is pretty cold for this time of the year. My youngest son will be hunting, and deer should start rutting photo.JPG during this time.

I sometimes hunt with a camera, so I might get some good pictures. I carry a rifle for big pigs. Pictured is my 13 year old grandson with one of my feral pigs. This is a big one.

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

The soil in my neighborhood is dark brown alluvial soil and doesn't tend to get dusty. After the long dry summer, having lost its moisture it shrivels and develops cracks that only close up after a good soaking rain in the fall, when the new rainy season begins and it swells again. But Israel has a variety of soil regions, varying from the north to the south and from the east to the west. Much of the southern Negev desert soil is of fine loess sand particles. When it gets wet it becomes impervious to water and the runoff collects in gulleys and dry stream beds producing flash floods. We do get occasional dust storms, but the dust is usually brought in by strong easterly winds mostly from neighboring countries.
    As to dust in the hives, I can't recall ever finding a dusty floor in any of them.

11. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Been cold here and expected to go below freezing tonight. Had a bit of drizzle with more rain expected, so a minor ice event is a possibility. That's all the local "news" people needed. Aside from the "second coming of the ice age" :lol:, one station gave advice as to how to be safe while driving. Ready? Here it is:

1) Make sure your headlights work
    2) Make sure your auto is in good working condition
    3) Pay attention to, and obey, all traffic signs and signals.
    Presumably if it is not cold and icy one may drive in a rattle trap of a car with no headlights and ignore all traffic signs and signals? :rotfl:Amazing!

Oh, from the national reports, it appears that Hobie is getting hammered. In fact, I think they said, "Hobie is getting hammered".

Walt

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

walt and I learned to drive in snowy icy places.... the remainder of the driving population in Texas is a sure enough danger to others and themselves if they get behind a wheel when the roads turn icy. luckly we get ice here once ever 5 years or so and when it does get slick I simply stay at home and hopefully avoid driving unless it is some kind of emergency.

13. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Like Tecumseh and Walt, I learned to drive on snow and ice and have continued to do so much of my looonnnng oilfield career. But, as Tec said, Texas drivers are dangerous drivers on ice and snow. Dallas has about one or two days a year with icy road conditions and the fender bender accidents on those days increase by a few thousand. An icy day in Texas, is a boon to the auto body shop industry. It appears that the ice pellets and rain are past my ranch and moving off to the east. I am hopeful of having received three to five-tenths of an inch of moisture. That would be enough to set my fertilizer. Now I need to pray up another rain for some growth on my cover crops. Oh well, farmers and ranchers are always looking for Devine help. In retrospect who isn't looking for Devine assistance?

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

drizzle cold rain finally broke off this afternoon. don't know how much rain we got in total since i turned my rain gauge upside down when the weather first turned cold.

15. camero7

camero7 Member

Starting to change from light snow to rain. 33°F and looks like 2-3" of rain tonight & tomorrow

16. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I got about 2 inches of rain over 4 days, cleared out now dropping into the 20's tonight.

17. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

My ranch received about an inch of rain over a two day period last week. It was enough to set my fertilizer in the ground for my cover crops. If another rain comes in the next two or three weeks, there will be very good forage on my property for winter and spring. That would be nice for the first time in three years. My next planting will include more common vetch. Is common vetch good forage for bees? I have read that it was and that it wasn't? Quien sabe'?

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

Been in the upper 40's and lower 50's here,been hobbling along cutting wood for the work shop so i'll have a warm shop to work in if i get my knee replaced this winter.:thumbsup: Jack

19. kebee

kebee Active Member

Finally got 1 and 5/8 rain with some cold weather, yes 24 degrees is real cold weather here. All our trees have dropped their leaves not because of cold weather but no rain in the last two months and very little the month before that, got to much in the spring and none lately, been a strange weather year, usually we have quite a bit of rain in the fall. I sure am glad to here you people are getting some rain in Texas though.

Ken

20. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Hairy Vetch is a better honey plant. N=Nectar, HP=Honey Potential, the 1/2 is a value out of 6, the 1is 0 to25 lbs per acre, 2 is 25 to 50 lb per acre per season.
    IMG443.jpg