Weather in NC

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by wfuavenger, Jan 28, 2010.

1. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

I made a post on my beekeeping blog http://jaredsbees.blogspot.com/ about the weather we have been having in NC. The reason I bring this up is this picture:

[​IMG]

This is in Boonville, NC. Quite a few hives have been destroyed in this apiary! The waters in most of the rivers in the Piedmont have flooded and several sewer plants failed due to the flooding at the start of the week spilling sewage into the rivers....

The Yadkin River in my neck of the woods (the one that caused the hive damage) was 28' above normal! Now they are predicting several inches of snow and everyone is running to the grocery scared of 2-3 days of bad weather. As we all know, people in NC don't get regular snow fall, so several inches scares everyone. We don't have the infrastructure to handle it.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what a mess and what a loss.

reminds me of last spring here. we have experienced a number of years of limited rain and I decided to set up an queen rearing yard near my home. I never even though about the place flooding. one saturday we got this incrediablle downpour that just never stopped. on the way home (we were doing a bee school in Brenham, Tx that day) I noticed one of my queen rearing boxes floating down a little stream.

3. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I hate to think of anyone having that kind of loss! Having lived in Missouri less than 3 miles from the Missouri river during '93 and '94 I can tell y'all that floods ain't pretty. Now anytime we move that is one of the foremost things on my mind....how far away is the water, and how fast can I get to higher ground.

We have a neighbor who had 6 or so hives sitting in the middle of his field where he plants watermelons every summer. I think the water is about halfway up the bottom box now....poor bees.

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Oh, that just breaks my heart! :(

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That sure is a sad site, I think I would be retrieving my wooden ware though.

G3

6. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

I dunno if he will be able to get them, The levels are dropping and the field is probably still soggy, but we have 10" of snow headed in tonight...... With more rain on Tuesday!!!!

7. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Reminds me of a friend of mine who had a yard in SC that got washed away one spring before he could move it to the loading yard. He lost 80 colonies on 4 way pallets.