Weather inversion...in WA state

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by hlhart2001, Oct 23, 2013.

1. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

The weather inversion is giving us great weather here in north central WA state..unlike the coast dealing with Fogmaggedon. I have been feeding the hives..one hive taking it faster than the other two. The bees are out flying but with so little forgaging material wondering if they are just eating up their winter stores. I still have some catmint and asters(still watering these) hanging on as well have seen dandelions blooming again. Just wondering if this warm weather is more of a detriment than a help to the bees? Shouldn't they be resting? (and I know there is nothing I can do about it.) Just wondering how other's bees have done when the frosts have killed just about everything but, daytime temps are high?(causing the bees to stay active). Thanks, Halley

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It's just one of those things that we have to contend with. It can be frustrating. Just keep an eye on them and give a heft to the hive every now and then and if it starts to feel light with time to go, you may be looking at dry feeding (fondant, etc.)

3. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

I am checking on them often...I did see one of the hives bringing in pollen...I assume aster and dandelion pollen. Also took a hike up the hill and saw bees going over what's left of the knapweed. We'll see how it goes.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

This is typical Okanagan weather you get use to it the bees are a little extra active and consume some of there winter stores but it stays warm enough to still feed and we can start feeding a month earlier than most the other northern beekeepers if we need to. (2 weeks earlier than Perry but he lives in a mild temperature region also). I will start to feed next week if they need it. Don't plug them up to much with stores the bees need some empty comb to cluster in.