Webmail Over Capacity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Walt B, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I received an email this morning that said my webmail capacity was exceeded and I should click on this link and fill out information and everything would be better and I would still get webmails. I figured if I clicked on the link either a worm would grab all of my private information from my computer or I woould be asked to enter user name, password, etc.

From a Google search I found this:

“Scammers have a new angle for their phishing lure: claiming your webmail has exceeded capacity. If you reply to the scam email, you won't be upping your quota, but you will be sending your email username and password to criminals. See below for a copy of the webmail quota phishing scam:

Your Webmail Quota Has Exceeded The Set Quota/Limit Which Is 20GB.
    Your Are Currently Running On 23GB due to hidden files and folder on your Mailbox.
    Please you are to follow the Below information to Validate Your Mailbox And Increase Your Quota.â€

So, if you get a similar message delete it. It'll be OK.

Walt

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Thanks for the heads up!

4. Omie

Omie New Member

The crappy grammar and excessive capital letters alone are a dead giveaway. ;)

5. Walt B

Walt B New Member

There are variations on the message. Mine tried to actually sound professional. They tried, but they failed:

"Your webmail account has exceeded the allowed storage limit set by your administrator, you are you may not be able to send or receive new mail until you re-validate your E-mail account. Click the Link below to re-validate your mailbox.

*Click here to validate*<
    http://I deleted the web site>

*Important*
    FAILURE CAN RESULT TO PERMANENT ACCOUNT SUSPENSION

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by email and delete the message and any file attachments from your computer. Thank you."

Walt

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012