weed killer

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Zookeep, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

my hives are 18 inches off the ground, any1 think spraying round-up would be a problem? cause the bees really dont like the weed wacker.

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Would make me nervous...get some goats...:grin:

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I like to use old rubber roofing under mine, keeps the grass down and you can also tell what is being thrown out the front entrance or falling through the SBB. I have a feeling it is working on the SHB larva when they crawl out of the hive and land on the hot rubber roofing.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a G3 snip...
    you can also tell what is being thrown out the front entrance or falling through the SBB. I have a feeling it is working on the SHB larva when they crawl out of the hive and land on the hot rubber roofing

tecumseh...
    these might be a side benefit for some but at least for me very important....

5. Omie

Omie Active Member

I would rather throw down some wood chips, old rugs, tarpaper, tarps, gravel, old plywood, or whatever I could get hold of. but that's just me, I hate adding more herbicides and pesticides to the earth.

6. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

I'm pretty sure I got harsh words from Iddee and others on Roundup last year. I went to a Clorox solution for weed control. I figure my girls get enough of it in the neighborhood without me putting it right on their doorstep.

7. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

Why not try vinegar? I work for an organic farmer and that is the only thing he uses(or he wouldn't be organic)

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Diesel fuel is organic. :evil::evil::evil: :thumbsup:

9. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

One of my ag suppliers sells 10 and 20% vinegar. It is for killing weeds. Have any of you ever used the extra strength vinegar?

10. Marbees

Marbees Member

Yup, after acetic acid treatment of some dead outs, I added remaining acid to distilled water and made 25% vinegar.
    Used it to spray weeds in the sitting/cooking area in my bee camp. (weeds came through the layer of crushed stone)
    Saved some for this years treatment. Very effective.

11. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I have been dumping my wood ashes around my hives this winter to see if it discourages the ants. It may be concentrated enough to do the weeds too. Roundup and other selective herbicides are such a powerful tool it is easy to see why commercial agriculture is drawn to them. I spend a fair bit of my sparse energy string trimming under my electric fences to keep the weeds off them. When I had cows they used to trim quite close and under but my sissy horses dont even come close! Crfter and Calf.JPG I miss looking forward to new spring calves!

12. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Crofter:

I have 26 of those black Angus calves on the ground and am expecting another 14 in the next few weeks. As you insinuated, there isn't anything more rewarding than spotting that calf the first time.

Try coffee grounds around your hives for ant control. My bride saves my coffee grounds and when they are real dry I crush them in my hand and sprinkle them around the hives. It seems to be a good deterrent, and I am talking about fire ants.

My black Angus cows came from an old rancher in West Texas that has kept black Angus cattle for over 50 years. He selects his keeper heifers from cows that are good mothers. Most of my cows go into the thick brush to have their calves, and they don't bring their calves back to the head for several days. When I first see my calves they are big and active.

There is about a dozen of us old farts that produce our own bulls. Our cattle are range hardy. I think I am going to love my bees as much as my cattle.

I started my today's herd from his stock about eight years ago. They are really good cows.

13. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

so vinegar is the answer Im looking for, so if I go with say a 50% mix (florida has tough weeds) it should do the trick?

14. Marbees

Marbees Member

Don't go over 25% strength. Remember, add acid to water

15. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

GMTA! I have some thick rubber, almost like mud flaps, under mine, too. :)

16. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

well, i guess i am going to stir up this thread.....
    can't help myself :lol:
    zookeep:
    "my hives are 18 inches off the ground, any1 think spraying round-up would be a problem? cause the bees really dont like the weed wacker."

i have read all the reply's and 'concoctions' here to kill weeds. been there, done that. there is no CHEMICAL answer to killing weeds around your hives safe enough for the bees.....just my humble opinion. NOTHING. plain and simple.....WEED WHIP/WACKER .....yeah i know the bees don't like it, and it is a pita to whack those weeds....better to have live bees than dead bees, and good comb minus the chemicals you sprayed to control the weeds that might wind up in your comb.

NO CHEMICALS around those beehives zoo......no roundup, no bleach, no acid mix, no vinegar, no nothing. even burned the weeds with diesel fuel, aw iddee, they just come back!
    or zoo, plant something else around them valuable to the bees(dang weeds grow in that mix too LOL!).... we all have tough weeds in our zones. what you put on those weeds, your bees get into. might kill the weeds for awhile, might kill some of your bees. some of your bees take whatever back to the hive. those weeds come back, the cycle repeats itself, you spray again, and you will always be spraying..... some of those noxious weeds flower.....

know this isn't the answer you are looking for, and many may disagree....i don't spray around my bees anymore, i want healthy bees, and healthy comb, too many stresses for the bees as it is. don't want to add to it, just the way i do it.
    :grin:

17. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

My Bees don't mind me weed whacking around them. A few fly out to see what happening but I don't get swarmed bombarded or attached. I wouldn't do it befor 10 in the AM or after 4 in the PM neither.