Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two hives which are queenless, and two nucleus colonies with queens. The queenless hives swarmed and the virgin queens must've not made it back from their mating flights.

Normally I might buy a new queen for each hive or transfer eggs, but the equipment does not match and buying a new queen will take another week to receive.

So I'm wondering "what if I took the two functional queens from the nucs(which have eggs) and move the queens in a cage over to the queenless hives?" Then the nucs can make new queens from their existing eggs.

Is this a bad/terrible idea for a reason I have not yet learned?

·
Super Moderator
3,569 Posts
You said the equipment didn't match. I would put the queen right nucleus over the queenless hive in a newspaper combine, and use a piece of plywood taped to the side of the nucleus box and extending over the open side of the hive, to manage matching equipment. Order an extra box the same size as the queenless hive, and after the combine has worked, add some frames to the outside edges and move the nucleus frames to the center, or leave them over the frames they are on but in the matching box. If you don't follow what I meant, ask and I'll see if I have a photo from when I did this
P5201186.JPG

1 - 2 of 2 Posts