Well, at least we're smarter than this:

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ibeelearning, Apr 22, 2013.

1. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

:shock::lol::mad:Following is an email snip from our local supplier (PMTC). I don't know whether to laugh or be upset at folks irresponsibility and ignorance. Cheer up, newbees; for all our mistakes, if you are reading this board you will not be making these:

"I cannot stress to you all how important it is for you to read and follow the hiving installation instructions!! Here are just a few of the calls we’ve received this week from our customers:

•Upon arrival, I took the Queen out of her cage to look at her. She stung me and flew away.

•I was busy and did not install my bees the day they arrived. I didn’t want them in the house overnight, so I put them in my bass boat outside for the night. The next morning they were all dead, as the temperature fell below freezing.

•I put both of my packages into my one hive and turned both Queens loose at the same time.

•I was not home when my bees arrived. my wife put them in a sealed plastic bag as she was afraid of them. They were mostly dead by the time I got home.

•The spray container I used to spray some sugar water on the bees had been used for spraying insecticides before. This killed my bees...I did not know they were that sensitive to insect poisons.

Clearly, not everyone is properly installing their hives. You are making a significant investment buying bees and equipment...and we want you to be successful. Once the hive are delivered, we are no longer responsible for them. Our Hiving Installation Instructions are the only way we can help to ensure your bees make a successful transition to your hive.

BTW, Pigeon Mountain says they can still fill orders for May and June. With customers like these, they'll be going fast.

2. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

WOW!:shock:
    Even if you don't have a mentor, there is more than enough information online (If one choses do to do their homework before ordering and or receiving their bees) that would have prevented these incidents. AND apparently PMTC even sent directions home with the buyer. :roll:

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You're right, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
    I am now selling a few nucs and I am really trying to find out the skill level for those interested in buying. There have been one or two where I have simply said no when I determined that it was nothing more than a flighty dream. Like Jim said, if there is no obvious intent to learn............!

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

thanks for the post, incredible! like perry, don't know whether to laugh or cry........some of this is so very funny, but very sad and very true. i also find that some folks just don't do their homework as jim mentioned or follow directions.....

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

ain't no pill for stupid!

You would think that some common sense would half way kick in..............oh wait.....common sense......never mind.

Friend of mine, hiss wife caught a small wild rabbit and had it eating and drinking. It got out of the cage and they finally found it, she was afraid it would get loose again so she sealed it up in a tupperware bowl............poor bunny!
    Then came the baby chick that was a little sick, got it nursed back to health and was afraid it would get cold, wrapped it up in a towel and put in the crock pot on low..........poor chicky!
    I don't think she is cut out for having animals.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ha, G3 those are great stories...crazy stuff! Ibee, those are some scary keeps (termed used lightly), wow!

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

like g3 said "ain't no pill for stupid".....and "common sense, never mind".
    one of my beehaver neighbors up and decided to keep bees one year. ordered a dozen packages or more, and purchased hive bodies and plastic wax foundation.
    the first call i received was early one sunday morning, and i mean at 5:30 a.m., cuz he was stewing over it for a few days or longer. ( i have told part of this before). said his bees were sick, wanted me to come up and look at them, they had all sorts of orange and yellow balls on their legs and couldn't fly very well.....
    so even though i told him what the orange and yellow balls were, he wanted me to come up and look at his bees.....
    long story short, come to find out, besides the pollen on the legs of the packaged bees he managed to hive correctly, he had lost half his queens and bees.
    caged queens were set in the hive with or without the cork removed and the package set next to the hive, front of the hive, on top of the hive for the bees to figure out they were to go in the hive by themselves......when he figured out he had dead queens and the bees weren't going in the hives by themselves, then he read directions he had been given by the supplier......needless to say, the bees he had left didn't make it past fall that year, and i can say, he was not interested in educating himself, and still isn't.

8. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Oh man I just used that pallet packing plastic around my hives so the new bee's stayed warm... Darn it! :rolling:

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

or as I sometimes say.... IQ is measurable and finite but stupid has no such boundaries.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

11. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Well there goes my plans for spraying for wasps around my hive entrance.

12. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

Okay, I have made some dumb mistakes but, these are ridiculus!

13. Lburou

Lburou Member

There are some people who would advocate a prison term for such ineptness. ;)

14. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I'm going to take those to my bee meeting Thursday. It's almost unbelievable. Wow.

Here's your sign...............

When all else fails..........read the instructions!