Well CRAAAAAP

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bsweet, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Had a Big brain fart yesterday,Decided to see how the ladies were dealing with the fall flow. Fired up the smoker to peek in the suppers and check the beetle traps.All looked good so I walked over to a small metal patio table in the backyard and set down the smoker/popped upen the top so it would burn out,tossed my hive tool in my hive toolbox on the table, pulled off my vail and went in to have a cup of coffee. This morning I went out to mow the back yard and holy crap what a mess, looked like the lite breeze blew heat/ember into the bellows setting it on fire which spread to my toolbox and some small boards on the patio table. Please becarfull with your smokers folks. Jim :eek:

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Sorry to hear of your accident. :( I always put a cork in the spout and hang the smoker on a metal fence until it is cool.

As you say, "Be careful", fire is nothing to treat lightly. I think if my wife ever got tired of referring to me as "Monk", she'd probably call me "Smokey the Bear". :D

Walt

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I took a large stick and whittled down one end to fit snuggly into the mouth of the smoker. When finished using the smoker I will plug it off, snuffing out the fire and saving the fuel for next time. The fuel will be charred which makes it easier to light.

4. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Thank you both Walt And G3 I normaly plug my smoker aswell, but......... Jim

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

yes a smoker can be a dangerous thing. a plug and a metal box to stow a lit smoker should be essential tools.

since my yards are spread about in hay meadows here and there I also try to stay alert to hot exhaust pipes and I also carry a fire extinguisher in my truck.

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I pay special attention around my 100 year old barns with nice, dry wood. Generally, I dump my smoker contents into a metal pail and pour water on it... but I have the luxury of having a spigot nearby. Still have to be aware of where I set the hot smoker.

7. rast

rast New Member

Just a tip to try. Stuff a shop rag between the bellows and the intake on the smoker. A railroad spike works good on the output side, keeps the smoker hung in place in the bed of your truck too.
    Has anyone else been told something is on fire in the bed of your truck at a stop light?

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

not the bed of the truck but the inside of the car. Use to move hives around inside of the old car I had, can easily get three hives in the backseat, one in the front seat and two in the trunk of a old plymouth fury III

9. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I used to move all my hives in my car... after one incident in particular, I decided that nets would be a really good idea as long as I was carrying the hives around inside the car.

When you start intentionally smoking the inside of your vehicle while you're going down the road... the cops get mighty suspicious... lol.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

G3 writes:
    one in the front seat and two in the trunk of a old plymouth fury III

tecumseh:
    have you no shame? the girls must have been highly embarrassed being hauled around in a fury.

the one hive in the front seat must have felt special???

11. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I can hear it now. "I got shotgun!"

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I always had a good time when I would stop for gas or to get a pop. Even picked up a couple of swarms after talking to a few people when I would make a pit stop.

They probably were embarrassed, it sure was an old bomb of a car, more so when I got through with it

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have four bee yards 60 miles north of home that are from 5 miles to 15 miles apart,i keep my smoker in a metal bucket in the pickup bed. Never fails someone passes me on the hyway and hollars your trucks on fire, or when i stop at a convenience store someone will run in and say theres a gray truck in the parking lot with something on fire in the back. :lol: Jack

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a small tip. if you fashion yourself a wood plug as describe by G3 as a plug for your smoker, you can carve a V shaped notch along the length of the stick and the smoker will not be extinguished itself.