well, found this half a block away

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Zookeep, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Dead palm and homeowner wants them out cause the trees right in the front yard, shucks.... Ill just have to take them out :Dancing:

Attached Files:

2. jb63

jb63 New Member

Zoo your on a roll.Ride the wave.

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

So how ya gonna do it?

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

think Im gonna cut the top off then just cut the section out and lower it down and bring it back to my house, after I block them in with screen, will take pics as it goes, not gonna do it for a bit, just used up all the boxes and frames I had doing the longboat cut-out, why is it you order 5 ya need 10, ya think 20 will do and ya end up needing 25? Im always running out of gear. but I guess if I get this hive out intact, it will be my 9th in 4 months so things are a bit busy.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Some folks have all the fun. :D :thumbsup:

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

went and screened in the 2 openings tonight and didnt like what I saw, after doing the 1st opening I looked up and the bees were pouring out of the upper hole looking for me, it was like water coming out of a pitcher, never seen anything like it, wondering if I found my 1st AB hive, I mean they "wanted me dead" kind of rushing out of the hole.

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

all done, found out why they were so angry all the time, no queen, no brood at all, found a couple old queen cells so it looks like they had swarmed and bad things happened to the new queens. was able to fill 5-9 inch frames with comb and the bees went to the new hive sitting next to the stump.

What do you guys think about this idea, rather then give them a comb of new eggs to make a new queen I was thinking about just combining 1 of my nucs with 1 of the new queens with this hive, it would give me a full 9 inch brood chamber of comb and bees rather then trying to build up the nuc or raise yet another queen in this hive.

Attached Files:

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would wait a week and check for eggs. Then combine.

9. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:coolphotos:

What Iddee said. Give them a chance on their own, then-if no go-force things.

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Are you being careful to see that there really is no queen or are you being alert for possible laying workers?

11. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Well, I could just add a cell and see if something destroys it, if queen hatches prob solved. I discovered a cell almost done in T1c yesterday, think they wanna swarm, its a bit crowded in there, I pulled a frame and added a new 1 to give them some working room.

Think I need to get off my lower portion of my back and do some queen wing cutting real soon.

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Zookeep said: "Well, I could just add a cell and see if something destroys it"

Sounds reasonable to me.
    I can't get over the idea that at this time of the year there are hives willing to swarm.

13. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I could be raising queens right now if I wanted to, I still have a good drone pop, temps these days are mid 50's to lower 80's and sunny.

14. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

ok, saw the queen in the palm tree cutout hive she is almost all black, fast as all heck too, no chance of getting a pic.

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Have you seen eggs? Could she be a virgin (speed is one of their traits)?

16. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

she could be I saw 2 old cells, dark wax, glue everywhere with this hive, I have nothing even close to the color of this queen so it has to be new genetics from the palm tree cut-out, if she is laying then that will give me 5 genetic lines to play with next year, when I move out to the 1500 acres I should be able to bread what ever I want, there are almost no bees in the area at all.

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Dealing with 5 genetic lines is no easy task---it sounds more like a challenge for university research teams.
    If you plan on keeping them all, you can let nature (with some help from you) follow it's own road--select for the best, cull the worst. and try to keep records of what you do--remembering all the time that you only have half of the picture since you don't control the male side of the picture. Then again, if you really want to get involved, you can learn how to carry out artificial insemination. :thumbsup:

18. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

ya should be loads of fun (and headaches) but I plan on flooding with drones from select hives , being out in the middle of nowhere helps :)

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I know you didn't ask me--so forgive my next comment for its huzpa---
    If you want a particular hive to produce a lot of drones, insert drone cell frames into the brood box. You can facilitate this either by letting them build on drone cell foundation (I believe some of the suppliers sell this) or by selecting combs built without foundation for storage in upper supers.
    I assume you really know this on your own, but having kept my silence (together with you and Tec) on Omie's bee year, I was just bursting to say something (constructive). :bow: :yahoo:
    I wish you success--keep the reports coming.

20. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I can get either brood wax sheets or hole plastic brood frames here for just that purpose, double deeps for brood with 2 drone frames is the plan after I build up the hives and select the 1 I wanna use, not gonna do any of this till the spring anyways but it is fun to plan it all out, and anything else you can think of Efm that could help plz post cause Im sure theres 1001 things Im not even thinking of yet.