Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it started off by reading about turning a excuder sideways ontop of the brood boxes, thought it was something nice to try, saw the bees using top and bottom entrances real nice and after a month I took a look, lol what a mess, the queen has brood in 3 of the 4 boxes spread all over the place, ok took it all apart and moved all of the brood (so i thought) down to the bottom 2 boxes with 1 of pollen/honey on each side and put the excuder on the right way, well guess I missed 2 frames with some eggs on it because a week later (today) I took a peek after I was all inside another hive and found real nice peanuts on 2 frames, every time without fail that i move any brood young enough to be queens into the top boxes they make queens right away, this time it was unplanned and unwanted but.... so I moved the 2 frames and food frames to a nuc (no I didnt split them up) to raise yet another queen.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
You know, I almost tried that today myself. I had a hive that is going through an excluder but I thought about helping them out by either removing it or turning it sideways because I read the same thing (I think Wayne may have posted it). I ended up removing it altogether. Old dogs ya know. :wink:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I just might split the nuc into 2, the more I think about it, the cone-o-bees hive has shown real good qualities and having more then 1 queen from this hive is well worth it.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
saw the new queen today, took a fast look to make sure there were plenty of workers and saw her walking around, all the other cells are taken down all ready, its a 3 frame nuc and after about 2 weeks I will go back in and add 2 frames of capped brood for a fast boost, then after a bit Ill move it to a full 9 inch brood box.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Sounds good:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
things seem to be going well, I watched the nuc for a few this morning and seeing a few field workers now heading in and out so maybe the queens laying all ready, Im going to wait a few more days and take a fast look, if she is Ill add 2 more frames of capped brood for the quick boost.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
a snip...
I took a peek after I was all inside another hive and found real nice peanuts on 2 frames, every time without fail that i move any brood young enough to be queens into the top boxes they make queens right away, this time it was unplanned and unwanted but....

tecumseh...
as you perhaps know zookeep I am pretty much involved in rearing queens for myself and in helping my good neighbor done in Navasota from time to time. I myself don't really use finisher much in rearing cells but my good neighbor certainly does. This involves finding the old queen placing her below an excluder and pulling up unsealed brood above the excluder. This is done on well populated hives and you invariable remove one or two frames from the upper box to have room for the cell bars.... so the bees tend to be quite populated on the frames that remain. The cells remain there for about a week and are then removed. If you leave the hive in the original state a good number will generate one or two cells above the excluder. In this circumstance (queen rearing) a beekeeper purposefully places brood above the excluder but in it's more traditional use (honey production) of an excluder a beekeeper purposefully doesn't want brood above the excluder.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this all started cause I wanted to try out some post info I was reading here, I added honey boxes above a excluder turned sideways, from what the post said the workers go up and down the boxes better but the queen still does not cross, well she did and what a mess, I had brood all over the place so I broke everything down and started with 4 food on each side of the 2 brood boxes and filled the rest with brood frames then the excluder then the next box was what ever was left of capped brood and honey frames then 4th box was I thought all uncapped honey frames but missed 1 frame with eggs and they made this in the 4th box

Attachments

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its been 2 weeks today that I put them in a nuc and I see some foragers now going in and out, I might take a fast peek to see if she is laying yet, if so, Ill add capped brood with nurse bees to speed build them up.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the new queen is laying very well, funny thing is I had the frame upside down for the pictures and she kept laying anyways, I added a frame of older capped brood and another of food to give them a fast pop boost, this is the 1st daughter of the cone-o-bees hive and looks like its going to be a winner from all the eggs I see all ready:grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found these cells 20 days ago and this new queen is amazing, I looked today and she has brood now on 3 frames and starting on the 4th, I will have to move them to a full 9 inch deep sooner then planned, once they start hatching out this nucs gonna run out of room real fast, Ill take pics soon, I think Ill breed more queens from the cone-o-bees hive, very impressed with this 1st 1

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok went to feed the nuc, I figured they would run out of food fast with all this brood and a small field force so i took a few fast pics while I was in it. I found the queen laying on the 4th frame and they have started pulling both sides of the 5th. looks like she started off a little spotty but she seems to have gone back and backfilled alot the cells she missed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
The second picture is awesome because you can actually see several stages from egg to cap. Pretty dern neat! Also looks like you have a few of those black beauties in there...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
was out in the yard today and could not resist taking another look, this queen is a real machine, she is not skittish in the least, the last frame in the box has just a bit of comb built and she is even laying on that.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts