Well I'll be darned. . . .

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tia, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

If you didn't see it in the "Walt Wright Articles" stickie, right after I got done bragging about having had only one hive since implementing Walt Wright's nectar management procedures, I. . .of course. . .had a swarm! Won't go into details, but the swarm didn't stay. I didn't bother putting the bait hive back in the shed, and yesterday at 4 pm. . .another swarm (or the same one, but I think it was a reswarm)! I left the girls to do their thing and checked on them this morning. They're all settled into their new home! So all I need do is move them to the apiary which I plan to do tomorrow morning. Now that's the way to catch a swarm!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Bees being mostly female, of course you can't predict what they will do next. :p :D

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Whereas, the drones being male, we always know what they will do. Not much, and then they die. :)

4. Tia

Tia New Member

Mr Iddee, what are you inferring, sir? That females are fickle? Fie on you! But Mr sqkcrk, I think you've got it down in regards to the male of the species. Seriously, I love you guys, making me smile. . .

Now give me an opinion. Moved the box into the apiary, set it on a better SBB and slatted rack & gave it an inner cover. In doing so, I peeked inside. The colony only covers both sides of 3 frames. Do you think they'll be able to grow enough to overwinter? I don't have much experience with swarms let alone July swarms! Shall I put a feeder on? I do have field feeders (actually extracted comb that I'm letting the girls clean out.). Do you think they need more help?

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They need 50 lb. of feed before Nov. Maybe more.

6. Tia

Tia New Member

I'll do my best. Thanks.

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

ROFL in regards to #2 & #3.

What is it they say about the best comedy being 80% truth or something like that?