We're #1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Walt B, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Yes, it's boasting, but we're number 1!

This year broke the record for consecutive days with temperatures of 100 or greater. The old record was 42 days (1980) and this is the 43rd day in a row this year. And if that's not enough...

This weekend we'll break the record for total days with temps at 100 or greater...something on the order of 62 or 63.

And I was here to enjoy it! :thumbsup:

Time for me to take my pills and rest now. :lol:

Walt

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Let us know if it ever warms up down there..... :eek:

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Walt, you can keep your number one title, i won't fight for it. The two weeks of 100 and 105 degree weather was all i wanted. Hope you all get some relief soon. Jack

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

as Lyle Lovett penned... it's hotter than hell when the sun hits the land.

5. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

We beekeepers often think of Cornell University in terms of bees, with it's highly regarded Dyce Laboratory for Honey Bee Studies (and many of us make creamed honey using the Dyce method).

But this summer, I'm thankful for another Cornell grad, one Willis Haviland Carrier, a clever inventor known as the Father of the Air Conditioner.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the national weather service site seem to suggest we have about another 10 days of 100+ weather.

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

And NOAA's latest report tells us that, globally, the average temperature in the last 30 year span is 1.5 degrees F higher than in the 1970-2000 span. This is scary. We are teetering on the edge of the Gulf stream current collapsing. If it does, it'll get a bit nippy around here.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I remember a jr high school teacher saying, a minus one degree change in our ecological weather system in the US of A and Canada would lead to mass starvation. :confused: He also said nobody in the class would live long enough to make $100.000 dollars in their lifetime. He was wrong on the last statement(barely), i don't know about the first. Jack

9. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Jack;
    Did we have the same teacher ?

He also said if I remember correctly, You had to attend college to make over $50,000 in your life time.

Murrell

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Just remember, every time we turn on those well-loved air conditioners, we cool the indoors but warm the outdoor world a little bit more. :frustrated:

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

efmesch, Like they say, for every action there is a reaction. :roll: Jack

12. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Our string of consecutive 100 degree days stopped at 44; it was only 93 yesterday. The weather guy actually sounded a bit disappointed! Back in the 100's today, so we'll break the record for most 100 degree days in a year. That should make him happy. :yahoo:

They say folks to the north (Dallas, Stephenville) had a couple of inches of rain. It will get here eventually.

On the bright side, I do enjoy watching the herons and egrets in the morning. The fishing is probably easier now that the pond has shrunk. :)

Walt

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

ponds???? what's that?

14. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Well, most of our water loss is from evaporation, and probably some deer, coyotes, and maybe a bobcat or two. We don't have any cows. They really go through the water.

There was actually a small water authority south of here that banned "watering livestock" as a means of conservation. That didn't last long! :D

Walt

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Walt writes:
    There was actually a small water authority south of here that banned "watering livestock" as a means of conservation. That didn't last long!

tecumseh:
    and who provided the rope?

16. Walt B

Walt B New Member

They were ready! :lol:

Walt

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

maybe only another 9 days or so and we MAY see the high day time temperature fall below 100. now thats pretty special.

18. Walt B

Walt B New Member

The farm road I take to work has buckled in a couple of places from heat, lack of rain and shifting soil.

Made it quite exciting, driving in the dark and coming up on the roller coaster road for the first time...twice. :eek:

Walt

19. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what is our current count of 100+ days walt?

20. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Today will be #69. Just looked at the 10 day forecast and looks like the count will be at least 79.

Walt