Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it's boasting, but we're number 1!

This year broke the record for consecutive days with temperatures of 100 or greater. The old record was 42 days (1980) and this is the 43rd day in a row this year. And if that's not enough...

This weekend we'll break the record for total days with temps at 100 or greater...something on the order of 62 or 63.

And I was here to enjoy it! :thumbsup:

Time for me to take my pills and rest now. :lol:

Walt

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Walt, you can keep your number one title, i won't fight for it. The two weeks of 100 and 105 degree weather was all i wanted. Hope you all get some relief soon. Jack

·
Registered
349 Posts
We beekeepers often think of Cornell University in terms of bees, with it's highly regarded Dyce Laboratory for Honey Bee Studies (and many of us make creamed honey using the Dyce method).

But this summer, I'm thankful for another Cornell grad, one Willis Haviland Carrier, a clever inventor known as the Father of the Air Conditioner.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
And NOAA's latest report tells us that, globally, the average temperature in the last 30 year span is 1.5 degrees F higher than in the 1970-2000 span. This is scary. We are teetering on the edge of the Gulf stream current collapsing. If it does, it'll get a bit nippy around here.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I remember a jr high school teacher saying, a minus one degree change in our ecological weather system in the US of A and Canada would lead to mass starvation. :confused: He also said nobody in the class would live long enough to make $100.000 dollars in their lifetime. He was wrong on the last statement(barely), i don't know about the first. Jack

·
Registered
382 Posts
Jack;
Did we have the same teacher ?

He also said if I remember correctly, You had to attend college to make over $50,000 in your life time.

Murrell

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Just remember, every time we turn on those well-loved air conditioners, we cool the indoors but warm the outdoor world a little bit more. :frustrated:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our string of consecutive 100 degree days stopped at 44; it was only 93 yesterday. The weather guy actually sounded a bit disappointed! Back in the 100's today, so we'll break the record for most 100 degree days in a year. That should make him happy. :yahoo:

They say folks to the north (Dallas, Stephenville) had a couple of inches of rain. It will get here eventually.

On the bright side, I do enjoy watching the herons and egrets in the morning. The fishing is probably easier now that the pond has shrunk. :)

Walt

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, most of our water loss is from evaporation, and probably some deer, coyotes, and maybe a bobcat or two. We don't have any cows. They really go through the water.

There was actually a small water authority south of here that banned "watering livestock" as a means of conservation. That didn't last long! :D

Walt

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Walt writes:
There was actually a small water authority south of here that banned "watering livestock" as a means of conservation. That didn't last long!

tecumseh:
and who provided the rope?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The farm road I take to work has buckled in a couple of places from heat, lack of rain and shifting soil.

Made it quite exciting, driving in the dark and coming up on the roller coaster road for the first time...twice. :eek:

Walt

1 - 20 of 26 Posts