We're allowed to have bees!!!!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rw02kr43, Mar 16, 2012.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

We had another town meeting last night. This time they had a letter I had printed out that I got from the state apiary inspector. They were very impressed by the letter and referenced it 3 times during the meeting. They said the bees will be an "asset to the town". thanks to everyone who helped on here and special thanks to Indypartridge for going to all the extra trouble that he didn't have to do. Now, I need to get a hive and some bees.

thanks everyone
    Jason

2. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Excellent!!!! :thumbsup:

Now...get to work!!!! You've got lots to do!!!! :grin:

Congratulations, too!!!!

Ed

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Congratulations! Now go get 'em! :mrgreen:

:thumbsup::yahoo::Dancing::clapping:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

WOO HOO!!!

Now to get some bees!!!

5. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

6. kebee

kebee Active Member

I am real happy to hear that rw02kr43, and I bet you were also, now the work begains.

Kebee

7. Omie

Omie New Member

Wow, i'm impressed and amazed....great work! Yay!

8. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Outstanding!!!! That's gotta make you feel good. This fall, take a very small jar of honey to each of the council members and thank them for making the right decision to allow you to keep bees. Its a good gesture and a way to start your customer base if you plan to sell your honey. Just a thought....

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you are to be applauded....

:hi:

10. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome Jason and congratulations!

11. jim314

jim314 New Member

I'm impressed also. Great work !!

12. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Thanks for the update, Jason. So glad things are working out. Let me know if there's ever anything else I can do to help.

Indy

13. Zulu

Zulu Member

Well done, every positive outcome like this in a town meeting helps others achieve the same thing later , as they can quote it as a success

Congrats

14. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Great job and congrats to you and the town, you both will be better for it. Welcome home. Jim
    P.S. You might give them this forum address incase they have any questions, they can come and lurk or post their questions here.

15. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Can you share the letter from the apiary inspector? This is something I intend to work on in the coming months as well.

16. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

Within Indianapolis we have over 200 beekeepers with honey bee hives in their backyards. Holiday Park and Eagle Creek park in Indianapolis both have observation hives. The bees are out flying in these parks. There are several nature centers throughout Indiana that have observation hives and regular hives in them. I think only one town in the state has an ordinance prohibiting keeping bees. Fort Wayne has ordinance that you can keep honey bee hives, but limits the amount you can have in your back yard. You have a semi-commercial beekeeper with a couple of apiaries close to Paragon. These bees most likely fly into Paragon city limits.
    If you have the hives within your fenced-in backyard, no reason for a person to trespass and go into your hives. As your beekeeper friends said the only time a honey bee stings is when they are protecting their hive that is being disturbed or when someone tries to catch them.
    I tell beekeepers within a city to try and hide the hives behind a wooden fence or evergreen bushes. This hides them from people that may be afraid of them. It also makes the bees fly up and over the fence and bushes, and over most peoples heads. It also gives the bees a good wind break in the winter.
    We have more problems with yellow jackets then honey bees. Most people think yellow jackets are bees. I try to educate people that yellow jackets are in the wasp family. Wasps feed their young insects spiders and anything they can scavenge. Bees feed their young pollen and nectar from flowers.
    There is the importance of pollination that honey bees do for anybody's gardens within a mile of your hives. Some of the crops in Indiana that honey bees help pollinate are apples, blueberries, strawberries, pickles, melons and pumpkins.