West SHB Trap

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by GrayGuy, Nov 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. GrayGuy

GrayGuy New Member

I am using a West SHB Trap and killing lots of maggoty looking creatures (SHB Larvae). The one main problem is remove/replace is in the front.

In the summer this was not a big problem, the bees were busy grocery shopping and fairly pleasant to be around.

Now in the fall they are down right nasty. But putting that aside, the main problem is my girls seem to hang out on the bottom board when the trap is out and then sit on the trap when it is in.

So when I remove the trap there are a hundred or so ready to eat me, this isn’t too bad either.

The BIG problem is replacing the trap without annihilating all the bottom board squatters.

I have not been smoking the girls, because the trap is removed at 2 week intervals. But I may have to.

I was hoping others used this trap and could give advice or share their experiences.

Also have you heard of using Diatomaceous Earth in the trap instead of oil?

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I don't use shb traps but I do on occasions trap a bit of pollen and I would suggest that lighting the smoker is always a good idea. I have never employed one of my pollen traps (they are the plastic kind that hang on the front door) without the girls being extremely upset all the time.

3. GrayGuy

GrayGuy New Member

Yeah, I guess I'll have to use the smoker. Thanks for you thoughts.