Western Size Hive Bodies

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rail, Jun 30, 2012.

1. rail

rail New Member

Anyone keeping bees in Western (7 5/8") size hive bodies?

[​IMG]

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I don't, but I will give you a piece of advice. Get some support under that hive.When 2 boxes are propolized together, you are going to pull the front or rear of the hive 2 inches, trying to remove the super, and the hive is going to the ground.I would place 2 boards parallel to the runners on the bottom board, so the hive has room to slide without falling.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You beat me to it Iddee, was also going to say while the stand looks good, looks to be made out of 1" angle iron which is kind of flimsy considering you will have a couple hundred pounds in just one hive, let alone several on the same stand. They get heavy before you really know it. Would hate to see those nice hives on the ground.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

That isn't what is worrying me. How many times have you went to remove a super and slide the hive a couple inches before the super let go?

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I was going to say that also but you beat me to it, did not think it was needed to repeat it. Just trying to help out and not have his hives on the ground.

6. rail

rail New Member

Yes, that is the least favorite of hive stands that I have fabricated. This hive and stand I want use for section honey, hence making the cut-down splits.

These are the other hive stands and hives.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]