Wet frames with last year's honey

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by jimenz, Jun 18, 2013.

1. jimenz

jimenz New Member

Thank you to all who responded to my earlier thread on adding supers.

I have a wet shallow supers, some stored in plastic over the winter, and others from several hives that survived the winter but have since disappeared. I am now wanting to feed these frames of honey back back to my 3 new hives I just purchased. Hope what I did was good. These are shallow frames(6) which I put in a brooder box. I placed the box about 20 feet away from my two new hives with a migrating cover setting on top and turned enough to allow openings at each corner. I then plan to freeze the frames for several days to get rid of some moth worms I found in them. Please advise of my amateur ways. Good or bad?:|

Thank you,

Jim

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Freeze them, then thaw and set directly on the hives that have enough bees to cover them. Save the others until the hives have enough bees to cover them and protect them.

3. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I think the way you propose (or are doing) is simulating robbing behavior; bad thing to get going. The most spoils also go to the strongest hives, not the weaker. What Iddee said!

4. jimenz

jimenz New Member

Thank you for the advise. This method was told to me years ago when I first started. Will consider the freezing suggestion.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Your method will work, but there are better ways available. Your method doesn't allocate the goods where you want them.