wet hive: how much is normal

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by pistolpete, Feb 24, 2013.

1. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I had a peek at my hive today. The bees are doing well, but there seems to be excessive moisture in there. I have 2" styrofoam between the inner cover and the lid. There is a 1/2"by 1/2" tunnel connecting the hole in the cover to the outside for ventilation. I noticed that there was water on a portion of the removable sticky board below the screen. Also there was water on the inside of the styrofoam lid and parts of the inner cover were covered with mold. I checked the bottom entrance and it was clear, so ventilation should be adequate. I flipped the styrofoam lid over so there is now an air space above the inner cover. The hive is inside a shed with a bottom entrance to the outside.

Seems like no harm done, but since the hive was bone dry two weeks ago and now I am seeing moisture issues, I was wondering if I should be worried. Our daytime highs are about 8 degrees celsius and there is still a foot of snow on the ground.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would guess it is respiration moisture but you could also be seeing some moisture from either rain or melting snow. the mold on the other hand suggest you had ventilation problems which It appears you have already addressed.

worry??? nah don't do that since that is my own and Iddee job title.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The bees have begun brood rearing so they are consuming more honey and creation more heat to protect the expanding brood area. the water is coming from the moisture given off by the bees condensing on the cool surfaces in the hive. Having the insulation on top keeps the moisture from freezing over the cluster and dripping back down onto the cluster when the ice melts. the temperature is most likely still to cold for the bees to ventilate the hive [FONT=&quot]adequately[/FONT] to remove the excess moisture. Moisture on the sides and pooling on the bottom board will not effect the bees, and the hive should be tilted forward so any water can run out.