What a great smell! Goldenrod!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BjornBee, Sep 6, 2009.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

After losing some nucs and hives to starvation in the past few weeks, tonight as I cut the grass I smelled the first distinct smell of goldenrod coming from the home yard. A very welcome smell indeed.

Not to give anyone the wrong idea. At least here, goldenrod will not fill up a light hive for all that it needs for winter. But it helps. The hives that starved were late splits and nucs that never had much in, and I just thought there was enough flowers with all the rain we had over the summer. My mistake and loss.... :cry:

2. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

A "welcome smell"? Absolutely.

A "great smell"? Not quite. Unless you like the smell of stinky socks. :)

3. rast

rast New Member

Yes sir, I learned that lesson about Fl. Goldenrod the hard way also last year.

4. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Indy,
    Your feet must really stink........ :lol:

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

We have alot of goldenrod here in SW Mo. but rarely see a bee on it,but they do work the aster hard. The goldenrod here must be different from the northern type. Right now my bees are working the beefsteak mint. Wish i knew why they don't work our goldenrod :? . Jack

6. Bhodi

Bhodi New Member

There are dozens of differnt types of goldenrod in North America. Not all are created equal.

Aster honey is reported to have a stong odor as well. It blooms when goldenrod does, too.

Stinky? I don't think so. To me it smells like strong colonies getting ready for winter. I like it.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Yes the aster does have a strong smell and taste in the honey. I have custumers begging me fore it (the honey) i like it to but if i don't watch it, it will cut my winter stores short. It also crystallizes in a short time.

8. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

It rained here for three days. Today....80 degrees! Let the flow begin! :D
    With nice weather for the next several weeks, this may actually be a good fall flow year.
    I hope so, my bees need it.

9. asprince

asprince New Member

Our goldenrod has not started to bloom her in in Central Georgia. You can just see a little yellow tint......it will not be long. I have my bees on sunflowers. They are really back filling the brood nest getting ready for winter.

Steve

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Okay i'm going to have to eat crow :? .My wife and i were driving home along our fenceline and stopped to look at the goldenrod, the bees were all over it :D ( time 4:30pm) along with the usual wasp and those bugs that look like a long lightning bug (don't know their name). I've lived here 33yrs. and never seen that many bees on the goldenrod :? .Always before i would rarely see a bee on it if ever, how do you figure :?: . Jack

11. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Jack,
    I think moisture and type is the answer. We have an early variety here that normally blooms out in August, but it is also usually way to dry and bees normally do not work it. It is not a major bloom, with maybe 10% of what the major goldenrod will be in September.

However this year, with the moisture we have had, the bees were all over the early variety. Too bad there was not enough of it around.

The early variety is a cluster type flower head. Here the main goldenrod that is just starting is the thin "whispy" type. That is the type you want to have around. I'll take a picture of the two today and post them.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

BjornBee, i looked up the type we have here it's (solidago speciosa nutt.) don't know if you have this variety in your area or not? Wonder if your variety) would live here? Goldenrod is a considered a noxious weed to farmers in my area so there may be some type of resriction on planting it here. Jack

13. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I started my goldenrod patch by pulling up plants in the neighboring farmer's field before he plowed it under. Kind of labor intensive, but, strictly speaking, I did not "plant new." ;) (No restrictions on planting it here, anyway, that I know of.)

14. jdpro5010

jdpro5010 New Member

I can say that here in N.E. Ohio the bees just don't seem to be collecting much if any goldenrod. It looks like it is going to be a long winter here.

15. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Same in NW PA. But the bees are busy working something off to the southwest of my property, don't know what. I've seen some in the late raspberries, remnants of clover, sedum, and orange jewelweed. (but not in the jewelweed variety with the yellow flowers, which the bumbles prefer. Interesting - wonder if it is because the yellow flowers are larger?)

16. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I just posted some pictures down in the "photo" forum, of goldenrod shot this morning. It shows at least two types (maybe three) and bees all over it.