What a Moron

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jun 25, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I did something today (a first) and I'm almost embarrassed to post about it.
    Have you ever done something so stupid it defies explanation? :oops:
    Well.............
    I took my usual approach to a hive today, one of my best. I've pulled 3 nucs, have done a split, used a frame of brood for Adam and I to take grafts out of, and have 2 honey supers on it at present. This queen is awesome, that's why I chose it for the grafts.
    I noticed heavy bearding (we're in the middle of a heat wave right now) so not wanting to potentially lose a swarm from it I figured I better take a look. I removed the 2 honey supers and set them aside. Then, as I always do, I cracked the top deep, slid it forward and looked at the bottom of the frames in the upper box. Sure enough, a capped swarm cell and a few almost capped ones as well.
    Well, that seals it, I leave the box on its end on top of the bottom deep and go get a queen clip to start my hunt for the queen. When I get back to the hive I go to set the top box off to one side on its own. I picked it up and swung it over to set it down....................and proceeded to dump every frame in the box out.....I had it upside down! :shock:
    I must have stood there for a full minute and I hope no one within a mile could hear me.
    How could this happen? I was tired and sweating like a pig, even felt a little dizzy a couple of times, but to my best hive?
    I put down the now empty box, went to my truck, got another telescoping cover and proceeded to frame by frame pick them up, check them over and set them back in the box. Bees were everywhere.. Once I had all the frames back in I decided to go through the untouched bottom deep and pray that hopefully she was in there.
    Sure enough, frame 6 and there she was. :yahoo:
    I quickly put her in a clip, rearranged the hive (minus 4 frames of brood and a frame of foundation that I placed in a nuc) and placed the queen in the nuc. I made sure that the hive had at least a couple of decent cells (including the capped one that miraculously wasn't damaged).
    What could have been a disastrous day ended up OK.
    My second order of 300 frames arrived today (the right ones this time, grooved top and bottom bars, I returned the wrong ones they sent last week).
    Rain tomorrow so guess what I'm doing? :mrgreen:

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Nope, never done anything that stupid, i calculate my ever move with precision like moves.:lol: Jack

3. pturley

pturley New Member

Jack is even so efficient he skips the use of the letter "y"...

Happens to the best of us... I haven't done this with bees YET, but did manage to dump an incubator with about $1000 worth of Gargoyle gecko eggs a couple years ago!

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Guess what folks, Perry is human, like the rest of us.:???:

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

That has got to be the most abusive behavior I can think of. You better send that queen my way I will treat her like, well a queen. oh yes we need pics for perry pie :rolling:

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Nop, I beber maid a mistrake.

7. pturley

pturley New Member

Nope me needer...

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

We all learn from ours and others mistakes. One of the best things about this forum is the openness and truthfulness and trust here.

I already think about upside down and inside out when putting boxes together. You can be sure I'll think about right side up when I'm inspecting hives from now on. :)

(besides, we only laugh for a minute or two! :rolling: )

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

we are seamless efficient robots here and I would never make that kind of mistakes even when I am dripping wet and I can't see anything with the sweat running into my eyes while wearing 3 layers of clothing and it being 100 degrees + ..... :wink:

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

It's the square cut hand holds that are placed to close to the center of the super if they had the rounded bottom the feel would have alerted you sooner. If it all works out in the end is it really a mistake or just another way of tackeling the problem? happy to hear it all worked out thou!

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

That's the first thing that came to mind, if they had been purchased supers with the tapered bottom holds I would have noticed. I won't make the same mistake again (for a while anyways). :lol:

12. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I haven't tried that trick yet but did have one stood on end that fell over upside down; frames still in place though. I guess their propolis helped me there. I do know one trick with boiling eggs dry, melting the bottom of the pot; now that stinks up the shanty something fierce! Your wife doesnt let you forget one like that for years. It becomes funny after a while though; a long, long, while.

13. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Well, speaking of stupid.............

Years ago I put on a pot of water to make some mac and cheese and turned the stove on. I went into the other room for a phone call. After a few minutes I thought I smelled smoke. So I went into the kitchen, and a roll of paper towels sitting on the back burner was on fire and the curtains were about to catch. I had turned on the wrong burner. I was talking to my wife-to-be at the time on the phone. I went back into the other room and told her, "I'll have to call you back. My house is on fire." LOL I still hear about that occasionally. :oops:

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yep, I goofed big time once. I bought a computer and found a bee forum. AAARRRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!

15. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I've never thought about turning a box on it's side to inspect it. Is that a common practice?

16. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:lol: I know that feeling.

17. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Ok so this is year 2 for me and I decided to get one of those fancy frame rest for the 1st 3 frames I take out. So dad has been coming out wit me on my inspection. I loved using the frame rest since I did not have to lay the frames down. As it was we made it to a 5 frame nuc and as I had with the ten frame hives I put the first 3 frames on the rest. Well some where along the lines of gravity and the see saw effect that 3rd frame changed the center of gravity of the nuc. So the nuc fell over making a whole bunch of bee's really unhappy, we get all the frames back in the nuc and dad gives me " that didn't work out very well "

18. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I bought a small pile of cedar 1x12's from a log house builder. Gorgeous stuff, 1 and 1/8" thick. So I dried it in the green house for a moth, planed it down to 7/8, cut it down to 9 and 5/8 for deeps. Agonized for a couple of hours on how to make all my cuts so that the knots would get cut out. Then I cut it all up. I put the first box together and went to put the frames in. They don't fit:eek: I cut all my long sides 1" too short. I looked over my cut list notes, and sure enough, it says 18 and 3/8 in one spot, and then 17 and 3/8 in the next calculation.

I was able to somewhat save things by switching from box joint to rabbet joint. Someone really needs to invent a wood stretcher.

19. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I do it all the time. saves having to have extra covers to stack the boxes on.
    it also works for letting the bees escape the honey supers if there is a good honey flow in progress. As I go thru the yard stand the full supers that need to be taken to the honey house for extracting on end and in 30 minutes moss of the bees will have flown out and returned to their hive. if you use this method it will only work if there is a good flow in progress, there is no brood in the honey supers as the bees will not abandon brood and the weather is warm with no rain so the bees will fly.