what a sight this moening!!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by JUDELT, Feb 20, 2013.

1. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

We have ad some warm days then cool nites, then rain and cold. the bees have been bringing in pollen on and off for the last few months. Last nite got to 29 degrees or so. today is sunny after a rainy Tues. Checked on the hives and the lost alot of brood! the one hive-bigger one- has a pile out front and the other has a small pile! this makes me so sad!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nature is at times difficult to watch. :sad:

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Are you still using reduced entrances and have the screened bottom boards closed off to help keep the heat in the hive?

4. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

yes, to both questions! the bee yard has smelled good the last few weeks, like in springtime and they have been going crazy collecting all colors of pollen! i was afraid this might happen with this SC weather. The saying around here is; if you don't like the weather, wait a day or two!

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

It's hard to slow down the bees when natural pollen and nectar starts to be collected and the weather is warm. although the bees could not protect it all they will have saved most of it. With this brood emerging the the hive will have a greater population to raise and protect more brood in the week to come.

6. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

thank you Perry and ApisBees!

7. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Same here Judelt,

Been very warm and bees bringing in pollen like crazy and a lot of capped brood. Now we have a cold snap. 30 at night and 48 to 50 days. I went down to take a look this afternoon and saw some white brood on the landing boards and in the entrances. Didn't dare open hives but I hope they are OK.

8. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

Believe it or not we get a little of that now and again down here near New Orleans. Our saying however could be if you don't like the weather (during winter anyway) wait a day or less! and it will change.

A little chilled brood now and again but the bees pick up the pieces and clean house pretty quickly.

Best of luck with your hives!

...JP