What a sight!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by srvfantexasflood, May 19, 2012.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I witnessed a swarm in motion tonight. I had left work, about 5:15-5:30pm, was driving in traffic and drove under a swarm. What a sight! I made a turn around as soon as I could so I could get another look, but I was too late. They were gone. I was so happy they were flying high enough to avoid traffic. I even double checked my car to make sure I hadn't hit any of those little honey filled girls. Since no one else was hitting their brakes, because I probably was, I have to assume they didn't see them or didn't know what they were seeing.

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have yet to see that....one of my brothers was riding his motorcycle a couple of weeks ago with his wife on the back when they drove into one. He only managed to get stung once on the face.

3. Dakine

Dakine New Member

It's one a heck of a mess when you catch a tight swarm on the windscreen! Happened to me years ago. Had ants hitting the honey all over the front of my truck for a long time.

4. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

The very first time I ever saw a swarm it was when my original hive swarmed in it's first spring after overwintering. My husband and I were watching them every day, and had an empty box ready, and had not yet read about splitting and so forth.

I saw them piling up onto the outside of the hive and called my husband home, and as he got there and we went to the backyard, they set off. We were standing there in our backyard and it was like...the very air was vibrating. We were just surrounded by the cloud of them, and had to yell to even hear one another, it was so loud. It was...amazing.

...and then they promptly flew off and gathered in a tree about 60 feet off the ground. *headdesk*

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

or as I have said before.... setting in the middle of a swarm in the process of issuing from a hive is the same feeling you should have when you attend church.... awe and reverence are two words that comes to mind.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I feel exactly the same way. While I hate to lose the bees if they fly to where I cannot retrieve them, it is an amazing thing to watch. In fact, if you think about it, it points to your hives success (maybe not yours). If it happens I look for the positive, I've now got a young queen on the way from successful genetics (simplified thinking but I'm good with it).

7. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Same here, Tec, it's very awe inspiring.

Perry, I feel the same way about positive thinking after a swarm. I don't think I've failed for having had it happen, that's what bees are *supposed* to do in spring. But yeah, I'm sad that I have to lose the ladies but at the same time glad, knowing I've got some good genetics in my new queen that comes after.