What about the drones?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tia, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

As Iddee knows, I have robber screens on my hives to keep them calm despite the chickens fluttering about in the same pen. The bees are doing well and are really happy. Their hives reek of goldenrod so I know their food supply is good. The plan is to put the sticky boards on again on Thursday (second mite count of the year). My bee school students will be coming to my beeyard next Saturday after class to learn how to check hives in preparation for the winter and at that time, we will check for stores, disease, pests and queenrightness--that's whent he boards will come out. But I got to thinking. . .if I have robber screens on, are the bees still able to evict the drones? I think I've had them on year after year and all went well, but now I'm wondering. So I took the robber screens off this morning but I'm anxious for the chickens. Love to get your thoughts on this.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

First, drones are fed by workers. When workers quit feeding them, they leave the hive to look elsewhere. The screens will not have any effect on them.

Secondly, the bees and chickens will get along fine, with or without the screens..

4. Tia

Tia New Member

Thanks, Iddee. Something learned again. I thought the girls had to actively evict the drones! I was gardening yesterday so I got to watch the bees and chickens for the major part of the day. The chickens aren't stupid; they stay behind the hives for the most part. The bees were crazy active and noisy! Sounded like a swarm issuing but it was just happy bees. The hives reek of goldenrod nectar, but as of yesterday the eleagnus was giving the goldenrod a run for the money, thank God. That eleagnus smells so sweet and the girls just go crazy for it. The 3 bushes I have were vibrating from all the bees, wasps and moths taking in that heavenly nectar.