What am I doing wrong here?

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by afterburn001, Jul 1, 2015.

1. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

I haven't been here for a while as the traffic seemed to die down.

I pulled a good queen from my queen castle to give to a queenless hive in another location. I gave her two attendants, a drop of water and set them in the kitchen cabinet where its dark. This morning I got up in preparations to re hive her and she and both attendants were dead. The thing is, this is the second time this has happened to me. I see people shipping bees across the country with no problems why are mine dying over night?

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

You also need to give them a drop of honey or more for the queen needs to have it to live, especial a young queen.

‚ÄčKen

3. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Thanks kebee!
    Less than 12 hours without honey would't do that. I have had queen shipped to me in the mail that took four days and then sat in the cabinet for another day without honey. Most people won't mention the honey, some say don't do it, just water. I have done it both ways but these bees were dead dead. one queen, two attendants.

4. camero7

camero7 Member

Ken is correct, you either need honey or candy. All queens shipped have candy available for the workers to feed her with. Next time use one or the other [I prefer candy because it doesn't risk getting the bees drenched]. And add a couple more workers to the cage and make sure they come from a brood comb.