what are my options?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by labeek, May 19, 2010.

1. labeek

labeek New Member

Hi I am a new beekeeper I just recently installed my first 2 hives ever!
    Everything went smoothly and I watched them for about a week.
    One hive looked like it was grand central station, while the other looked like it was empty, aside from maybe a couple of bees coming out. They are set up exactly the same and are 6 feet apart.
    A week after i had installed them I looked into the busy hive there where tons of bees, the other had a handful of bees (less then 75) looks like the bees in that hive moved over to the other hive.
    Did the bees just like the other queen better? Now 2 and a half weeks down the road both queens have been let loose the busy hive has done a good bit of drawing on all the combs with pollen, brood, and nectar, but the other hive looks like they haven't touched the combs. So my question is can I save the failing hive? What are my options? Is it too soon to try and transfer brood? Would the brood even make it with that few worker bees? Also I keep my bees in Louisiana if that helps. Thanks!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The bees have combined. The weak hive is a goner. Best to build up the strong hive and do a split.

3. labeek

labeek New Member

Is it possible to do a split this year? or should I wait to do it next year?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you get 2 full deeps that have 6 or more frames of brood, split.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds like the queen in the now weak hive was questionable and likely from the time she arrived.

the detail of splitting are a bit ambitious for a new beekeeper. the point in time that you might wish to split would also be somewhat to highly determined by your season. a larger factor in my mind would be 'where' (as a general description) in Louisiana do you raise bees. having done 'that' there I know when it comes to rearing bees that the playing field in Louisiana ain't all the same.

6. labeek

labeek New Member

The bees are in Ruston La 30 mins away from monroe and an hour away from Shreveport we live about 10 mins away from LA tech if that helps.

I had an idea last night and tell me if it sounds crazy but here I go, I have some burr comb about 4 pieces all around 1 foot-foot 1/2 what if I cut into the thin starting wax that get the bees going and insert some of the burr comb so the queen can lay and maybe get some bees hatching.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

yes I know exactly where La Tech is located. I use to keep a few bees around Minden, Louisana and I have an older sister that graduated from Tech.

imho... you are going to find the season is short and sometimes not so sweet along the rolling hills of North Louisiana. Those solid stands of pines are the equivalent of a desert for a honeybee. If you wish to capture anything of a honey crop you have to feed a hive up early to have a lot of population on hand when the red maples begin to pop. the remainder of the early spring season is over pretty fast. unless your are situated in an unusual location splitting anything later that this month without also planning to feed is likely not a very worthwhile endeavor. some of the best location in the area might just well be near towns and residential areas. the bottom lands along the Red and Ouchita (sp???) Rivers do have some potential.

your idea sounds quite plausible. sounds kind of like starter strips for folks that want to go foundationless.