What are the chances?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jun 12, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Got a call today about a swarm (1st one). :grin:
    Turns out it was a handfull of bees hanging around a 150 year old farmhouse, looking to find a home underneath some exterior trim up on the second floor. The funny thing about all this is that I had set out a couple of swarm traps for Adam Foster Collins (forum member who helped me move my hives) in the hope of catching something for him. These were Adam's swarm boxes complete with Lemongrass Oil and everything.
    Anyway when I show up at the adress the lady gave, it turns out it is only about a couple hundred yards from where I had one of his traps set up. :lol:
    They had a couple of old ladders (24') and I went up to take a look just as they seemed to find a way into the wall. Where they had been hanging around in a couple of areas they seemed to have settled on this spot. I quickly drove and picked up the nearby swarm box and set it up so it's entrance is about 8 " away from where they had been hanging about and finally went into the wall.
    I never did see what I would refer to as a "swarm", there were never that many bees. I am wondering if these were a bunch of scout bees perhaps checking out the digs? All I saw were bees arriving, not leaving. Or do you think that perhaps the queen is already in there and that everyone just missed the initial swarm? I am hoping that the bees inside (if they haven't started to build) will find the lure of drawn comb just outside the wall too attractive and draw them out.
    Wishfull thinking?
    These folks (elderly mother and daughter, that initially called me from her house) asked several times what it would cost to remove them (I had explained trap-out/cut-outs). I said it would depend on the complexity. They then asked a couple of times if because the bees hadn't set up shop yet could they just spray them. I told them that that was their perogative but that it was difficult enough to keeps bees alive as of late, don't expect me to do it!
    I do not believe they are willing to pay for much, I told them I would not charge for the small amount of time I had spent to that point but that I would not be willing to do more if it didn't lure them out (without being compensated).

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A few years back, the state DOT had bees under an office trailer. I removed a section of the covering and found about 30 bees. We looked around for awhile trying to find a hanging swarm in the area. Then the sky started to turn black with bees. They were coming in. We grabbed a nuc from the truck, added a bit of LGO, and set it under the trailer.The bees covered it and moved in.We took them home. Quick, simple, and easy. Hope you have the same luck.

3. Adam Foster Collins

Adam Foster Collins New Member

I, for one, am really rooting for your success on this...

Adam

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ah man...I bet you were excited for a mass of bees to drop in the box and leave with a smile....

Iddee, that had to be a rare experience. The timing on that would be nearly impossible to duplicate. I am assuming small amounts of the swarm started to follow the drones and then at some point, the whole swarm departs for the new spot. I have envisioned swarms simply hanging one second and then whooosh, off they go!

5. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

How do you use your lemongrass oil for a lure? I just folded up a napkin and added five or so drops to that and put it on top of the frame in my swarm trap. Is there a better way?

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I dipped a few q-tips in the oil and placed them in a plastic zip lock but did not close it. I placed the bag on the center back floor of the nuc. I would have used cotton balls if I had them. I rubbed some on the top bars and a little on the outside entrance...

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi Adam! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: I just bet you are! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: