What are the chances?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Doing inspections yesterday and could not find any drones. I have a hive that is queenless with about 6 queen
    cells in the process of being capped as of yesterday.

If the queen hatches will there be drones for her to mate with?

I wonder with this sever drought we have had if they did away with them early.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have not seen many drones either, but there are some around. Hopefully she will get mated, even if poorly, to make it through the winter. Are there other hives around you? if so that will increase her chances of being properly mated.

3. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Yes, I have 6 total. Looked in all 6 and didn't see any.

Hopefully they keep a few around just for the heck of it.

4. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Maybe there's some feral colonies you don't know about as well that haven't kicked the drones out yet.

I was down to absolutely zero about the end of July, but then saw just a few, maybe 6 total, and a small patch of drones cells in my ZOMG SO CROWDED hive.

I've been worried about a fall swarm from that hive, it's so crowded and I'm watching it close. Seeing those drone cells after they'd all been kicked out of the hive made me think, I don't know, maybe the ladies were raising some drones as part of swarm prep. Like "hmm...we're getting crowded here and may need to swarm, better get some boys around for our new queen."

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Even if there is the drones and she mates is there going to be enough time for her to build up a population of bees for winter? It will be 2 1/2 to 3 week before she is matted and back to laying. is their at least a failing queen in the hive to still be laying some brood? other wise you may have to support the hive by providing capped brood from colonies.

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

It'll make for a good experiment. Please keep us posted on the results. I have a queen expected to mate now.

I do see drones and capped drone brood so we'll see.

I was told I couldn't get a queen mated until mid May when the temps warmed up. Well lo and behold I have a queen in one of my hives now that was mated in early April in upper 50f to low 60f degree weather.

I saw capped drones in mid-March and made a split as an experiment.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    If the queen hatches will there be drones for her to mate with?

tecumseh:
    in about 2 weeks or so you will know for certain. my best guess at this time is yes there will be.

after a continue dearth drone population tends to decline as much as anything else due to lack of pollen. in similar circumstance here some drones are available even if you don't see many in your own hives. drone congregation areas just tend to pull in drones from a very large area. the available feed in the hive, nectar coming in the hive and/or some small amount of feeding going into the hive with the cells may have more to do with the success of the queen in that hive successfully mating than anything else.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

In Israel (about 30-34 degrees latitude N) many beekeepers choose to raise their new queens for next year right about now.

9. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I am just at the tail end of the mating widow for two of my virgin queens. I have been watching my good hive closely for drone activity. I have had a decent number of drones flying every day for the past couple of weeks. But the door is closing. IF these queens do nto get mated the door is closed I will have to combine these bees with my good hive and start again next spring. I have my fingers crossed that the queens can get in about a batch and a half of brood. If all I can do is get a good population for 5 frames I will be happy. There only hope is me feeding them through the winter. We usually only have a couple of weeks in late January early February that get real bad cold. I am hopiogn for a mild winter. Most likely they have until the first week in November to do what they can do. THe hives with new queens are nto even foraging. ti is like they are focusing on building comb for her or something. Time to put the feeder back on.

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hey, Yankee 11, i still have drones,( mine are Johnny Rebs :lol:) but not alot. The time for them to go is getting close (our first frost date is around Oct. 10th.) if your queen cells are not capped yet, you probably won't see a new queen until about Sept. 17, or 18th. You are farther south of me and i have new queens making maiden flights now, i would think you will have time to get a new queen going. With the crazy weather we've been having, who knows? your knew queen could get to lay up to Jan.:???: Jack

11. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

They had about 4 queen cells capped and were in the process of capping the other 3 last Sunday. They should be hatching this weekend. So I guess a mating flight by next weekend and should see eggs the weekend after.

So, 2 weeks or 2 1/12 weeks from this weekend if no eggs I am going to combine.

Sound about right?

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

That's about right, but i would give her another 7 days if the weather is right before i combined. I've had some go over 3 weeks before i seen eggs and turned out to be good queens. Jack