What are you listening to???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SamgeeGamwise, May 22, 2010.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

A young musician named Matt Brown who plays old timey stuff like Mississippi Sawyer, Forked Deer, Shady Grove, and Cripple Creek. Saw him perform Sunday at a Beer Garden style venue. Unfortunately, the sound system was horrible and was unable to hear well. We parked across the street and could hear him playing fiddle as we got out of the car. When we went inside, couldn't hear well at all. Go figure?
    CDs by Texas Fiddler Benny Thomasson and the Fuzzy Mountain String Band.
    I would like to get a CD by the Carolina Chocolate Drops.
    We have tickets in hand to hear Hot Tuna next March!
    Friday night, Asleep At the Wheel is going to be performing at a free concert in the park series sponsored by the city in which we live in and pay taxes. Sam Bush is coming in July.
    We try to hear live music when we can. It doesn't always have to be expensive. There's nothing like the experience of seeing and hearing someone perform. It gives you a great appreciation of the music and the artist.
    That's about it, for now.

2. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I saw Asleep at the Wheel a very long time ago.... back when I was skinny and had BIG hair...LOL. Actually it was in 1985.

I'm listening to my washing machine play catch up.... we're almost there!!! I hear XLB's computer keys so I know he is studying right now (that computer doesn't go online. I hear Baby Beek outside humming to herself while she paints a new chicken pen. Sounds like a busy day!

3. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

srv fan, ever hit the Beumont @ Westport? fun place to see music. Pretty big variety. Saw Kenny Wayne S a while back and Johnny Lang too. Hit the back entrance to avoid the lines! They play lots of different stuff. I like the live blues shows the best around here.

4. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

We went there a couple of times to hear Steve Earle. We saw Kenny Wayne Shepard when he was in the Experience Hendrix tour this spring. I didn't know the Beaumont had a back door? I would have just been happy with a place to sit down. I'm not as young as I used to be, or as skinny!

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

I'm listening to the husband watch a DVD of Live at the Filmore East. Elvin Bishop is playing some blues now. Earlier was Hot Tuna with Papa John Creach on fiddle. Uncle Sam Blues.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a long time ago I saw Hendrik twice when he was touring in the Southeastern USofA. now there was a musician.

every once in a while I will put a Hendrik CD on the player just to remind me of when my hair wasn't quite so thin or grey.

7. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

Completely different guitar style, but have you ever seen or heard of Tommy Emmanuel? Check him out on youtube. He's from Australia and is gaining popularity in the USA. He has some of his guitars customized with percussive sensors under the top. He combines percussive sounds with his playing. His bio is very interesting too. We say him in a Pre-concert workshop. There were way too many people there to do a workshop, so he mostly talked about himself and his guitars and demonstrated what he was talking about.
    He has amazing long fingers like Hendricks did.

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

im listening to the voices inside my head they are telling me to go feed hives and it is raining

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

RR, maybe you need to borrow JP's red umbrella. :D

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i tried to but he said he wouldnt part with it :beg:

11. riverrat

riverrat New Member

talking about kenny wayne shepard. I seen him years ago when he was just getting started they was billing him as the next stevie ray vaughn when it came to his guitar style. His biggest down fall at the time was he couldnt sing and had to have a front man. I had heard he was taking voice lessons at the time. You dont here much about him in these parts anymore. I wasnt for sure if he was still around. as for what i listen to today in the truck has my john conlee live at billy bobs. for tomorrow i think it might be a chris ledoux day cant go wrong with his tunes

12. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

RR he sings some now, the next up and comer was Johny Lang. He's probaly 20 or so by now(Old for up and comers!) Just got done watching a PBS show on Stevie Ray and a bunch of live stuffmixed up for their annual auction to raise money. Cool stories, had one bit when he played Montreux Jazz Festival(still had short hair and young) and some even booed him when he left the stage. He played years later w/ David Bowie and got the ovation he deserved. Now just fans and A/C unit. Its HOT here tonight 90 deg @ 11pm w/ alot of humidity.

13. riverrat

riverrat New Member

He used to play the walnut valley bluegrass festival flat picking championship in winfield every year but hasnt played there in a couple of years

14. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have heard johnny lang was good he played wichita sometime ago but didnt see hm. Hows sheppards singing I havent heard him sing. you dont hear much about him in these parts. I think its going to be awhile before another steve ray comes along. There may be someone who can pick the guitar and there may be some that can sing but its going to be hard to find someone who can do both and put there heart in it lig steve ray vaughn did. I had a chance to see him a couple of months before the crash and didnt go because I had to work that night and I thought I would get the chance when he came back around

15. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I'm a fan of old-time music. Lately, its been an album of field recordings collected by Mike Seeger (Pete Seeger's wildly talented half-brother).

Mike Seeger was a member of the New Lost City Ramblers, definitely my biggest influence. I was fortunate enough to meet him a couple of times, attend a banjo workshop with him, and see his last performance in Wilmington, DE. He passed away earlier this year.

16. riverrat

riverrat New Member

im setting in my office listening to old don williams and vern gosdin dont get much better than that

17. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

d.magnitude- How true! Mike Seeger was extremely talented. How fortunate for you to have gotten to meet him and play with him. I have been learning old time fiddle for the last year and half. Lately, I have been listening to Fuzzy Mountain String Band. Their two albums have been combined into one cd.

I have also been listening to a new cd by a local group, Truckstop Honeymoon. Their newly released cd is Homemade Haircut. Here's video of them performing at Winfield about two years ago. [youtube:2aagmm1j]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6_hSWlsqPY&feature=related[/youtube:2aagmm1j]

Story has it that they were on tour when Katrina hit New Orleans, so they relocated to Kansas.

18. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

Concert in the city park last night. Sam Bush with his band performed. It just doesn't get much better. There was no one at the merchandise table, so I walked over. It just so happened that Sam's wife was the one selling the merchandise. She struck up a conversation with me and then asked my name. She told me her's and shook my hand. What a sweet lady.

19. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

what a coinkidink. I have a little live SRV on my i pod rt now! "cold shot" in HOT MO

20. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

srvfan,
    I've got that Fuzzy Mt. Stringband album too. It's nice it hear of other people listening to traditional old-time music; and who appreciate the NLCR. They really opened the door for the 2nd generation of old time musicians, and people like me later on (I guess we're on the 3rd or 4th wave by now). Have you heard of the Carolina Chocolate Drops from their recent NPR interview?