What are you listening to???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SamgeeGamwise, May 22, 2010.

1. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Wow, I'm listening to lots. There's the roar of the computer (I replaced the fan myself :roll:), the purring from the cat, and my wife saying, "Dinner's ready."

See ya

Walt

2. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

d.magnitude- Yes! I heard the interview on NPR too. I had heard of them prior, but now I really have to get their new album. You are the first person, that I know of, that has heard of them. They reinforce the theory that stringband music is just another style of music that white folks stole from the African-Americans. I like how they met at a Black Banjo Festival.
    What do you play?

3. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

srvfantexasflood, The reason I asked about the Carolina Chocolate Drops is that my brother opened for them last week at a show in Seattle. He's in a two-piece band called the Whisky Swillers (look 'em up), playing very traditional old-time. The CCD (unhappy coincidence of initials) seem to be getting well known, so it was a big show. From what I've heard, I like their earlier album better than this latest one. I've been playing banjo for a number of years, but I'm too distracted with the rest of my life to have a real go at performing. My bro and I used to have a bluegrass/jugband/old-time group a few years back called the Big Elk Barons (don't bother looking). Btw, I read you were into Matt Brown- you should check out his father Paul Brown (who happens to have put out an album w/ Mike Seeger). It's a pretty small circle...

4. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

d.magnitude- I checked out the Whiskey Swillers. They look fun!
    I heard a interesting story on NPR about a group of 3 women that formed a group called Mountain Man. Their first album comes out later this month. It contains all original works, except for one tune. They sing in real tight harmony. You can check out the story on npr.
    Didn't know about Paul Brown, thanks for the tip. Heard several tunes, on the radio, yesterday from Grisman, Hartford and Seeger's Retrograss. I always get a kick when string bands or bluegrass musicians incorporate old Beatles tunes (and other pop tunes) into their repertoire.

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

Last Saturday night, Bob Dylan. Great concert, great crowd, great venue. My binoculars broke and I didn't know it till we got there. I had a monocular.

6. SamgeeGamwise

SamgeeGamwise New Member

I was just sitting here thinking that exact thing! I was interested in learning about the music tastes of the group, but your posts have all been soooo much better!

You are absolutely right that the often unheard music of life going on around us all the time is beautiful!

I'm listening to some birds chirping at my daughters feeder on our porch, the whir of the refrigerator and my wife stirring in our room as she thinks about getting up for the day.

Great posts keep em coming!

7. davidr28

davidr28 New Member

8. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

My female rat terrier asleep on my lap, snoring like there's no tomorrow!

Iddee & Riverrat, sorry I didn't check in earlier on this thread when y'all inquired about borrowing the red umbrella. I could let you hold it at best but it needs taking care of cause it will one day go back to Ms Annette from Placerville, California.

Hope this coming Saturday to hear pigs squealing at the sound of my 22's report!

...JP

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hope you get one.